Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

350 D mod Warning, it can be fatal.

steelfixer

Hi all.

Well I decided to do the IR filter removal mod on my newly acquired 350 D last night.

I had read up on several posts on how to do this so started without any reservations.

Stripped the camera down following a photo step by step guide.

No problems everything was as in the photos.

When it came to removing the chip I did exactly as instructed, removed the screws and withdrew the plate holding the chip.

Then disaster struck, under my plate were 4 shaped very thin copper spacers.

These spacers were under the 2 mounting screws located each end of the plate on the right hand side looking from the base.

As I lifted the sensor off the camera one of these little spacers fell into the camera discharging the 'flash' capaciter into the circuit board.

Net result one very DEAD camera.

In all the threads I have read there has never been a mention of these stupid little spacers so be warned if you attempt this mod they do exisit and they can be fatal to your camera.

Guess I am on the lookout for another camera, heyho such is life.

Graham.

No the battery was out but the capaciter was still fully charged.

Sitting there in the quite concentrating on what I was doing.

It didn't half make me jump.

I bet, I'm surprised the Gary Honis site doesn't mention this. Those little spacers are well documented tho, I dislodged one and jammed the shutter, luckily once it was retrieved and refitted everything was OK.

You might get lucky on EBAY and pickup a living or dead 350 for a few quid, if you get a dead one you could use it as a parts donor.

Hi George.

Electronics are not my thing even if I managed to pick up a dead on I would not know where to start.

Don't know what it did but after I put it back together it now has a dead short when I press the shutter release.

I do love a bit of red in my images (so I'll have to I guess) :-)

Yeah If I mod it I'll leave it off for a few days before, shouldn't be difficult in this weather.

As they say in the Fast Show... Last night I was mainly imaging Clouds.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Graham,

Sorry to hear about your dead 350D. I'd like to correct something said about my modification web site directions and the sensor assembly shims (spacers). In my directions for every Canon model that does have the shims, I say this:

"21. The next step is to remove the CMOS imaging chip/circuit board assembly. Be careful when removing it because there will be an exposed filter on the back side. There will also be three small metal shims where this assembly mates with the camera body. The shims are used for adjusting precise focus and there may be one or two at each mounting location."

That step also has a link to show a photo of the spacers and their location HERE.

I do not have instructions posted for the 350D model, so you had to have been using someone else's instructions posted online.

If you need any help with a DSLR modification or would like to share your experience with others, please consider joining my support group DSLRmodifications.

Sorry again about your failed modification.

Gary Honis

Bad luck there mate i used to be an electronics engineer and caps holding charge caught a few people out giving them a zap , in the end if any large caps were on a circuit we started shorting them out to discharge before we began work .

Hi Graham, sorry to hear about you 350D thats a real downer. As your also in Ipswich and make pier plates and I need pier plates and have two Canons (one of which is a Modded 350D) I have PM'd you a proposal, let me know what you think.

Archived