SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 300P FlexTube Dobsonian

Ryall

Very excited the scope in title arrived today, pics attached are of assembly but as is typical the weather currently is atrocious :)

Was very easy to assemble and it is indeed a heavy beast and the design is very solid, scope moves around very smoothly the tools supplied to build it with are a bit flimsy and I ended using my own.

Can't wait for first light!

post-35727-133877768215_thumb.jpg

post-35727-133877768219_thumb.jpg

post-35727-133877768224_thumb.jpg

post-35727-133877768229_thumb.jpg

post-35727-133877768234_thumb.jpg

post-35727-133877768239_thumb.jpg

post-35727-133877768244_thumb.jpg

post-35727-133877768248_thumb.jpg

Nothing too drastic, just waiting for bits to arrive.

Bob's Knobs for the secondary.

Upgrading the focuser to Baader Steeltrack.

Flock the top section (and do around primary later).

Camping matt dew shield.

Various bits of velcro stuck to base to keep things handy.

In two minds whether to add a fan, think I'm going to hold back on this and see for myself whether its really needed.

Apart from that I can't think of anything I'd like to change or add. Clear skies would be top of my list if I could buy some of those from somewhere! :(

Bob's Knobs ( or equivalent ) are a good improvement as is flocking.

I find the finder scope is more prone to dewing up than the OTA, so I've made a little dew shield for it out of off cut flocking material.

Hi, after much deliberation, I am currently awaiting delivery of one of these. Same as Mike, I will be fitting a steeltrack focuser. I dont think I will be installing the finder scope, preferring instead to only using my telrad, which will be attached to a riser bar.

Scarp

I never used a finder on my 200p just a telrad. Unlike the 200 dob the 300 comes with a right angle finder so I'm keeping it and using telrad on a riser above that.

Hope that makes sense?

Mike, which size riser will you be using? I have placed an order on the 4". I might try the finder as it is compatible with fitting the telad.

Mike, which size riser will you be using? I have placed an order on the 4". I might try the finder as it is compatible with fitting the telad.

The problem that I found with keeping the finder was the Telrad had to sit further on top right next to a bracket for one of the trusses. The only way that you could site it there was with a riser so I've bought the 2" riser.

Using just the Telrad and low power EP worked before but now my 31mm only gives x48 so I should imagine that the Telrad/finder should work a lot better.

Hi I thinking of getting a bigger scope (more detailed planets) still have not made my mind up which to get first a large dob (10-12"), quattro (10" CF) to go on my NEq6 or go ED80 for wide dso photos.

Question about SW dobs flex tube does the finder rotate around the upper tube section for easy viewing?

Storage and moving into position how easy and does the 12" come with the light shields?

Craig

The finder is in a fixed position, but the the right angle finder on the 12" is fine. Eyepiece / finder position doesn't need to move with a dobsonian mount like it does with an EQ mount.

When you first get it, the 12" does seem a big lump, but it is easy to set up and you soon get used to handling it.

The light shrouds are an extra, those with DIY skills make their own or there are comercially available ones.

congrat's on a great scope. now only another 3 months of rain to go !

I see. Jackets badge there ,if ya can Hackett,lol hi mate was in the Light Div 1li 89/96

Yeah Durch I recal a fav green jacket. Mate said a lot

Cheers pat

Archived