Greetings!

Ditchers

Hi all,

I've been interested in Astronomy for a while now and have been floating around the boards for a bit and thought I'd join you fine bunch.

I am an avid watcher of all astro tv shows and am a regular visitor to the Hurstmonceux Observatory on their open nights (well recommended).

I did buy a Meade LS8 telescope just over a year ago but as time has gone on I have found it to be a bit too easy (almost like cheating) and onerous when setting it up with power tank etc (although the scope was simplicity itself - flick one switch and away you go).

After chatting to some amateur astronomers at the observatory I have now ordered a skywatcher 200P Dobsonian and as scopes are in short supply was able to sell the Meade for almost what I paid for it - result!

Hopefully my scope will be delivered tomorrow (fantastic service, thanks FLO :) )

I will no doubt have lots of questions as I have switched to the traditional method of observing. I have also invested in 'Turn Left At Orion' to assist me as I'm no longer part of the GOTO club :)

Clear skies everyone!!!!!!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome! I've yet to get to an observing evening at Herstmonceux as the last one was clouded out. Hope to get there soon as I've been there by day.

It's well worth it, we went a couple of weeks ago to their Saturn event and saw some great stuff: Saturn, ISS, Mars, Venus, Globular cluster and a Binary star.

Hi Ditchers and welcome to the forum. It does pay to get decent kit from the start because as you upgrade, or in your case change direction, good kit will always demand good prices. Congratulations on the ordering the new which is the U.K's most popular scope and for good reason. As you are going 'manual' I thought you might like to take a look at 'Stellarium' here as it is free, easy to use with plenty of features to keep you going when the clouds come in. Can be configured to your precise viewing location and has a nice advance date/time feature to help you find objects and plan future observing sessions.

Wishing you clear weather for the scope's arrival!

James

As you are going 'manual' I thought you might like to take a look at 'Stellarium' here as it is free, easy to use with plenty of features to keep you going when the clouds come in. Can be configured to your precise viewing location and has a nice advance date/time feature to help you find objects and plan future observing sessions.

Thanks for the tip James, I have heard of Stellarium and after your recommendation will definitely give it a bash. :)

Hi Ditchers and welcome to SGL. Hope you enjoy your new scope. Good choice of book. I bought a copy of "TLatO" only recently, I should have purchased one a couple of years ago. Great advice nicely packaged for observing.

Ah - I think that's the one I didn't go to as it was cloudy in West Sussex. Doh!! :)

Well, it was a bit touch and go on the night as it started raining - which normally means end of play.

We were just about to call it a night when the clouds parted til it closed, most people had already left by then so the queues for the scopes were a lot smaller - result :)

Archived