Why can't I still see much

What am doing wrong just come back in from a session with my scope and the best I have seen was the moon early on, been looking at mars and saturn but both were not much different to any other stars.:)

Geoff

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear this Geoff.

A similar complaint cropped up a day or so ago which you might find conducive to your own concerns; sure, it seems to be mainly about the 130, but it might help: http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/185540-little-dissapointed-my-telescope.html

Other than that, - and take my words with a pinch of salt because I don't own a reflector - your scope should be absolutely fine for planets and the such, so if it's not a case of Newtonian collimation, or necessary cool down period, it might be time to invest in a couple of semi-decent EPs?

Hope someone can give a better hand.

Thanks but it is so disappointing when you get you first really clear night and you may well of gone to bed I suppose I am a little disheartened now I thought I bought a good scope

Geoff

...... I thought I bought a good scope...

You did buy a good scope - look at the posts on the forum from happy owners of the same scope.

You just need to get more experience using it and especially at finding things I think.

While Mars may look like a pinkish star at low power, there will be no mistaking Saturn - it looks like no other object even with a smaller scope than yours and low magnification.

I wonder if you were actually looking at the star Spica which is bright and close to Saturn at the moment :)

I don't know how many times you have used the scope but do keep at it - astronomy rewards persistence :)

Geoff, I think you've brought yourself a great scope; it should do you good and bring you hours of educational experience.

Mars is a nightmare to observe. It's just a little bigger than the moon and about 150,000,000 kms away, so the details are small, very small. Just to be able to focus it as a sharp disk is something.

Saturn shouldn't be causing you so many problems, so I figure if it isn't a case of collimation, if you barlow your 10mm you should have a maginification of around 130 which is plenty fine for Saturn.

I appreciate your concerns. Hopefully a skywatcher owner will be able to reply.

Best wishes.

I have only had the scope a few days as I thought it be something I could do as I spend a lot of time up at night because of the medication I am on for my disability so I guess I should keep going, I have been using google sky on my phone to get an understanding of were to look.

Geoff

If you don't already have it, get yourself Stellarium. This should help a fair bit for planning your evening's practice.

It's still a nightmare trying to find objects when you're out alone with the sky (I spent about an hour or so trying to find M80 and M4) but stick with it.

A sky atlas might also help and you should find plenty of free examples on the net which you can print out and take along with you.

If "Saturn looked like a star" then you didn't see Saturn. So the good news is that when you do see Saturn, you'll be happy with your scope :)

This ^ when you do see Saturn, it will be worth it :)

Geoff

I can make our Saturn using my 7 x 50 bins so your scope should give you a good view. I had the same problem when I first started, but with all the free tools on the web, Stellarium, star maps etc and bit of planning it comes right in the end. Good luck Paul

Everyone has their favourite astronomical objects that are great for beginners because they are easy to find.

Globular clusters are nice because they are compact and quite bright. M3 is good at the moment,. M13 is great, because it is easy to find, but not really the right time of year. The Double Cluster between Cassieopeia and Perseus is always a great sight at low power. Then there are interestingly coloured double stars like Albeiro in Cygnus.

Saturn you will not mistake once you have seen it.

Later in the year you have Jupiter which was my first telecope sight and truly stunning even in a small scope. You also have easy to find objects like the Orion Nebula.

Start with the really easy targets and then you get comfortable. I was helped by someone local who could help me find objects when I was floundering. Perhaps there is someone on the forum near you?

Keep at it. It is a wonderful experience to see all these amazing things, but it takes time to get your eye in. I am still in awe of those who casually swing their scope round and unfailingly point at some intriguing but faint object.

Good luck.

old_eyes

Are you sure your red dot finder is accurately aligned with the scope? It might help to do the alignment in the daytime using a TV areal or electricity pylon.

The 130P is a great scope and you should have great views when everything clicks into place.

Definitely Saturn with 10mm, supplied with most scopes, will not look like a star no matter the collimation state, don't worry about this too much.

So you should try again, in the same direction and height is Spica, so try the 'other star' there :)

Perry

I have the Skywatcher 130P and can confirm all these previous comments. I have viewed Jupiter and Saturn very nicely so you just need to keep going. Mars isn't much of a sight though, even with more expensive eyepieces.

Maybe you could write down the whole process that you go through starting with putting your scope out and aligning and locating targets. Someone may spot something that is causing your problem.

Thanks for all you advice they have lifted my spirits so if there is no cloud around tonight I will try again.

I did post to see if there was anyone in my location to help me get

my scope set up also to give me some pointers but at yet I have not had any response.

Geoff:)

Jupiter, Venus and Saturn all all distinguishable through decent binoculars so when you find them with your scope you will know it. The only thing that could cause poor vision enough not to recognise them is possibly something greasy on the secondary mirror or EP. You have a bought a worthy scope so unless it's faulty, which is unlikely, then you're doing something wrong.

Also, taking into account what has been said above, clear skies don't always mean the best seeing conditions, especially for planets such as Saturn and Mars.

There have been many supposedly clear nights where the stars are out (and twinkling) and the planets shimmer like you're viewing them under water! Also high altitude mist or very high cloud can be invisible on a clear night. If the moon is out you can get an idea about atmospheric conditions by looking at how the glow of the moon is dispersed.

I don't believe your eyepieces to be at fault, but you will probably get sharper and more contrasty views if you decided to upgrade your 10mm and your stock barlow lens.

Good luck!

Cheers I do think it is me and not the scope although as I do not no to much about scopes and this is a new hobby I have got one hell of a lot to learn.

Geoff

Don't get worried about the amount of info to take in. Just take one step at a time and enjoy the journey!

Just get used to setting your scope up (I assume it's on an equatorial mount?) and get used to finding objects. Worry about all the other stuff later when you're ready, or you'll get bogged down and lose heart!

Be patient. You will get there! If you can find a local astro society near you, maybe someone can actually show you what to do, or just keep asking people on here. That's what we're here for. :)

Alexxx

this is those stupid pictures companys put on websites and boxes giving people the idea this is what they will see.

geoff, forget about all the pictures on the box and websites, most will be artists impressions or very expensive big optics. lots of moneys worth either in space itself or ontop of a large mountain.

for me i was like yourself a little down heartened because i was not seeing these amazing colors. i did not know they appear gray to us in the sky.

for me mars is a bright orange like star, but saturn i can make out the ring. it takes some time to learn averted gaze. looking at an object but not looking at it, but i can after a while see saturns ring with a gap between.

jupiter is more a blob but you can see its moons. you have had scope only a short time, give it a few more weeks and you will be finding the sky a lot more interesting and your scope is way bigger than my baby 76mm dob

i try not to use the standard barlow with a 10mm eyepiece this gives to much mag for my scope and find getting focus a damn pain. but a barlow with a 25mm eyepiece is just right.

maybe pop the canon 350D onto the eyepiece holder and get some prime focus shots, the camera will see light more than our eyes and pick up the detail lost. with the moon coming back round should have a chance to grab some awesome close up's with a 2x barlow

Archived