SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Two more with the ATiK - M27 and M57

Helen

As promised, M27 and M57

NS8 Alt Az, Celestron 3.3 FR, ATiK 16IC, IR,

Seeing was reasonable, but full moon and the wind picked up! (Oh, and it was cold - shouldn't need thermals in July :shock:)

M27 - 25 (out of 32) x 30 sec, stacked in Deepsky stacker and processed in Elements (with Noel's help)

(I grinned a lot when I stretched the levels and saw this appear!!)

image.jpg

M57 - combined subs of 15, 30, 45 and 60 sec, 22 subs total time 15 mins, stacked in DSS, cropped (rotation issue) and processed in Elements

image.jpg

I've also got 15 mins of data on Andromeda, but its proving difficult to get anything decent of the data....

Comments and advice welcome :(

Helen

Well!, aint that something. You're surely climbing the league table now Helen. This new camera is doing the business for you, and you are getting very adept at this imaging. Stunning pics, and looking to see a lot more from you. Now, don't get too excited and burn yourself out. :(

Well done, I hope I can reach this standard in as short a time as you.

Ron. :)

Beginner's luck Ron - comes with a new camera I think, just to get you hooked, and then reality strikes and the hard work begins!

Good fun though :(

Helen

PS from Akyra's post it looks like cloud and bed for me tonight!

Are you planning to use the Megrez 90?

I'd love to use the M90 and the ZS66 Steve, but at the moment I haven't got an appropriate mount. The NS8 would certainly take the 66 (and probably the 90) but I'd need counterweights. And this hobby has soaked up a lot of money recently.... But in time I hope to take advantage of both these super scopes.

Helen

Thanks guys! :lol:

I was actually quite disciplined (very rare for me :)) and worked out what I wanted to do before going out, then wrote down what I did as I did it, and then even wrote down what I did as I processed the data yesterday.

Now need to work out what to do tonight.... any suggestions? (given moonlight :()

Thanks

Helen

I think you probably can Rog, it has quite small pixels. It's bigger than an Atik 2 HS but it is round which should help reduce star distortion which I guess can happen with the 16HR. Helen will probably be the 1st person to be able to answer this question!

Don't keep us waiting too long Helen!!

Dont think you can use that camera with fastar Martin .

Rog

I talked about this with Bern before buying it. He thought that because it was round it would be OK. There would of course be some aperture loss, but the increase in speed should still make it worthwhile. I plan to try :) So watch this space....

Helen

PS would Andromeda be in my grasp with Fastar??

PPS just seen your post Martin... great minds think alike!! Will try tonight :(

Try downloading this fantastic little program which shows you the FOV you can expect from any given camera and telescope combination.

http://www.newastro.com/newastro/book_new/camera_app.asp

You won't get much more than the core of M31 even with fastar unless you have a go at doing a mosaic. You should just about be able to squeeze in M33 though.

I think Bern's first reaction was that it would be too big, but once he measured it and calculated the extra aperture loss it didn't seem too bad. So I think it is a case of try it and see Rog....

Could I try the North America nebula - or would that be too difficult for a second night out??

thanks

Helen

PS thanks Martin, crossed again... I'll go and see what it says for NA neb......

PPS just off into the sun to do some swatting up with Ron's book 8)

wait till the moon is gone Helen , these nebs are faint and without the HA you would be wasting your time , as for fov this is something we all try , to get different fov , thats why i have 4 scopes and reducers etc etc , just have to see what gives the type of results you are looking for, need an endless pot of gold hehehehehe , i would have spent another £3000 in the last few months,and i have,nt even turned out an image to speak of yet lol

Rog

wait till the moon is gone Helen , these nebs are faint and without the HA you would be wasting your time , as for fov this is something we all try , to get different fov , thats why i have 4 scopes and reducers etc etc , just have to see what gives the type of results you are looking for, need an endless pot of gold hehehehehe , i would have spent another £3000 in the last few months,and i have,nt even turned out an image to speak of yet lol

Rog

Thanks Rog.

Why is it only clear when the moon is up :( And I've found out I could get the whole moon with Fastar, but its behind the trees :lol:

I'm playing with the scope at the moment to try to get it balanced with the ZS66, which will give me another option. f5.9 with a 0.5 FR should be quite nice for wide field views :)

Can't wait for your images with your new set-up :lol:

Helen

Archived