NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Need help, ideas, suggestions How to get a 16" non-truss Dob into a Subaru solo?

My wife has had rotator cuff surgery and can not help me, my friends live far away.

I want to get my 16" Dob into my car solo.

I was thinking of making a scaffolding out of 2x4's with a winch.

All suggestions welcome!

post-34674-13387776259_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW now thats what I call a scope :D:):(

As to your question..... Have you thort about a tripod with a winch suspendid? I say this because it would be easy to make... Portable on a roof rack.... very mobile when erected....easley adjustable..... and could be done very cheep with scafolding....

Hope this might give you ideas if nothing else :):) good luck

looking at the pic it seems you don't need to ask this question..:(

Joking aside, what car have you got - hatch, saloon, estate might be worth thinking about some sort of rig that you back up to and slide it in..

Just means getting it out the other end though..:D

Hope your wife is better soon.

Might be simpler to motorise the trolley! :D:D I'm not quite sure what the problem is here, are you wanting to move the whole assembly? Can you not separate the scope from the mount and load them separately or am I missing something.

James

How about a trailer and towbar? Very little lifting required then, especially if you get one with a tailgate, just roll the scope on, roll it off. I got a 2 bike trailer for my old motocrosser for £110 secondhand so you don't need to spend the earth.

Perhaps the problem is in the actual scope itself 'solid tube'

Personally I would seriously consider removing the optics and building a truss tube scope for them.

This would enable even a large scope like yours to fit into a small car.

Regards Steve

I use a sack truck to move mine any distance and then lift it into the car, sliding over a duvet cover into the back - I have a Rover 214 hatchback so not a big car. http://stargazerslounge.com/1902655-post288.html

as Steve says a truss system, especially a nested one http://stargazerslounge.com/2255001-post21.html would make life a lot easier. maybe even cut the tube in two and make a joining system? the base will be your main issue I suspect.

Buy a bigger car?

The car is not my problem, it can fit the scope.

My problem is picking the scope up out of the base and putting it in the car.

Modify a wheelchair winch maybe?

Nice!! I have started browsing for something like that. Thank you.

WOW now thats what I call a scope :):):D

As to your question..... Have you thort about a tripod with a winch suspendid? I say this because it would be easy to make... Portable on a roof rack.... very mobile when erected....easley adjustable..... and could be done very cheep with scafolding....

Hope this might give you ideas if nothing else ;):) good luck

Thank you. Right now that is looking like the most likely answer.

looking at the pic it seems you don't need to ask this question..;)

Joking aside, what car have you got - hatch, saloon, estate might be worth thinking about some sort of rig that you back up to and slide it in..

Just means getting it out the other end though..:)

Hope your wife is better soon.

It is a hatch back. It holds the scope, ok. It is the lifting and moving the 120lb tube that is the challenge.

Thank you.

Why move it?. The location it is in looks pretty dark sky and rural.

Yes, that was what I was hoping for. However, we have some car dealerships nearby that light up the sky all night.

How about you leave it where it is and we all come round your place?

Regards

Graeme

Bring beer!

Might be simpler to motorise the trolley! :(:D I'm not quite sure what the problem is here, are you wanting to move the whole assembly? Can you not separate the scope from the mount and load them separately or am I missing something.

James

What you are missing is that I want to move this to dark sky locations and start parties. It is too heavy for 1 person to move off of the base and into the car (and back).

I had no idea that a 16" Dob was quite that large.

Beautiful dog BTW.

Thank you. He loves to ride in my sidecar.

How about a trailer and towbar? Very little lifting required then, especially if you get one with a tailgate, just roll the scope on, roll it off. I got a 2 bike trailer for my old motocrosser for £110 secondhand so you don't need to spend the earth.

I am worried about all the bouncing on the trailer and I am still left with the problem of getting the scope off the stand, on the trailer and back.

That is mahoosive :D

A trailer has got to be the answer.

I am worried about all the bouncing on the trailer and I am still left with the problem of getting the scope off the stand, on the trailer and back.

Perhaps the problem is in the actual scope itself 'solid tube'

Personally I would seriously consider removing the optics and building a truss tube scope for them.

This would enable even a large scope like yours to fit into a small car.

Regards Steve

Long term that is an idea. However, more likely I would buy a professionally done truss as I am also building an aircraft right no w and have no spare building time or room.

I use a sack truck to move mine any distance and then lift it into the car, sliding over a duvet cover into the back - I have a Rover 214 hatchback so not a big car. http://stargazerslounge.com/1902655-post288.html

as Steve says a truss system, especially a nested one http://stargazerslounge.com/2255001-post21.html would make life a lot easier. maybe even cut the tube in two and make a joining system? the base will be your main issue I suspect.

Thank you for the links. Long term that is an idea. However, more likely I would buy a professionally done truss as I am also building an aircraft right no w and have no spare building time or room.

Thank you, but that would be a long term solution.

post-34674-133877762897_thumb.jpg

How about ordering a kit car off the web and building it around your scope? :D

Seriously though if it were me (I wish) I'd actually build a truss rod OTA and move the optics to that, therefore making it theoretically lighter and more portable. I see Swamp Thing has already mentioned that possibility.

One fine day I am going to get a 16"....

You are a lucky man with a sweet dilemma...:)

Now you have mentioned the aircraft project (WOW!), you will have to post pics...:(

Archived