Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wow! How small we really are

SionR25

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched a video on size only the other night after wanting to show my fiancé the sizes of everything.

That video compares galaxies and nebula as well which will add to the sizing on the image :D

It always gets me how similar the macro and micro universe looks, the similarity between the orbit of electrons and the orbit of planets.

MIB vid :D

Orion and the cat's collar was it?

I get that vibe too, small is big, big is small and all the mind bending stuff that goes with it.. maybe if they keep trying to see the small they'll see the big, eventually - vise versa thus settling the big debate.[?]

Nice vids though, something to ponder, and I always thought our sun was big..

TYVM

Glen

I think what amazes me most of all are people with very closed minds who say "we are the only living things in this universe on our planet" how can we be when we're extremely small in comparison to what else lies out there in our galaxy alone and the Milky Way is just one little island in a sea of billions of galaxies.

Simple answer, look at our makeup! mostly water ,carbon, few random other bits (chem is not my strong point:o) bit of iron etc all the building blocks of whats out there, star stuff - it isn't surprising we are here.. same goes for others I reckon. :D

No long shot, life will happen given the briefest of chances it seems it's just the distances involved that make 'green men' impossible.

Saying that we could be of martian decent, long story..:(

I think what amazes me most of all are people with very closed minds who say "we are the only living things in this universe on our planet" how can we be when we're extremely small in comparison to what else lies out there in our galaxy alone and the Milky Way is just one little island in a sea of billions of galaxies.

Personally I suspect there is other life out there but in what form I have no idea. Algae, moss, plants, fish, insect, reptiles or mammalian or as close as another evolution can get. But we have no evidence of anything existing anywhere, all the evidence shows at this time is that we are alone.

Being in a goldilocks zone is no guarantee of life, look at Mars. Hardly teaming with life.

If the probability of life evolving to the state we are, is say 1 in 100 billion then we could be the only "advanced" life form, at least in the milky way. That does not prevent life just places on any the requirement to evolve to the state we are.

We have taken about 4 to 4.5 billion years to get here, another "similar" planet just behind us by 500 million years has a long way to go.

Makes you think.............

:D "welcome to the ten o'clock news; life has been found on Mars, it has a DNA base structure..."

Sure would get me thinking :(

Should add this would be due to interplanetary seeding /panspermia .if it was true.

/crawlwoodwork

What made me realise how small me are was last night's viewing session - I pointed the binos at Mu Cephei, knowing that it would envelop much of our solar system, and it looked so small way up there in the sky. It made me realise that if a star that size can look so tiny, how tiny must we appear?

Really puts things into perspective.

Only beings in the universe? Surely not....

When we find another Planet that holds life (Most probably Mars, they still haven't really explained the source of Methane pouring out of Mars, lets hope it's methanogenic bacteria) that is a guarantee we'll find many more. One Planet is surely a coincidence, two Planets is a guarantee.

Has anyone actually tested to see if life can survive underneath the Martian soil, far enough for UV light/radiation not to kill it?

Bacteria seems to live just about anywhere on our planet... Some are so resistant to radiation it's unbelievable. I wouldn't doubt that they could possibly withstand the radiation on Mars. They're called Deinococcus Radiodurans.

Here is an interesting article on Wiki about them. Their abilities make have developed as an adaptation to prolonged desiccation, otherwise ???

Deinococcus radiodurans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think images like that really help put our personal significance into perspective.

Some people believe we are so significant we deserve some form of after life.

Others believe we are so insignificant it's depressing and they feel they have little to live for.

This image makes me think we are all extremely significant to all those in our lives and we should make a good effort to make those who deserve to be happy, happy! Universally, yeah, we are nothing! But we are still hugely significant, we just need a bit of perspective on it! :-)

Bit deep for a Monday morning?? :-P

Archived