Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepieces supplied with skywatcher explorer

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a sky watcher explorer 130mm (f/900). This telescope came with two eyepieces (10mm and 25mm) and a 2X Barlow lens. Can anyone tell me the make of these eyepieces? I believe Sunday night is the best time of the year for viewing Saturn? Are these eyepieces sufficient for such a viewing? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

i'm told the 25mm is reasonable and the 10mm is terrible. i've not yet been able to purchase any additional e.p. but i find the both acceptable. certainly better than naked eye. i'm sure there's a lot better out there but if it's all you've got then they are certainly adequate. just don't bother using the 10mm with barlow, these views aren't great.

Scott

i have the same scope what barrow and Epson would you buy to get something decent ?

of course i am sure many love it but i advise as a 130 owner to go for the 130m over the p simply the p mirror makes little difference at such small apature and the motor is more worth it

The eyepieces are sufficient, you'll be able to view Saturn with them. Your views will only improve by upgrading them though as they are relatively poor, especially the 10mm. The 'eyepieces - the very least you need' sticky is excellent reading if you are thinking of building a collection.

I have had the exact same eyepieces. The 25mm is a 'good' one for the value, but the 10mm is very prone to making astigmatism worse.

I believe they are a Modified Achromat type of eyepiece, not the plossl type that I was initially under the impression of.

The eyepieces supplied are Sky Watcher modified achromats (MA), not the best in the world be good to start with. You should be able to see Saturn well enough, start with the 25mm, then increase mag with the 10mm.

Some good comments so far. I have same scope and have found my 25mm EP to be pretty good for a supplied eyepiece. It's quite sharp and clear. The 10mm is average at best and the barlow magnifies cromatic abberations and makes the image soft and muddy. I've ditched mine now, as it really is a waste of time taking it out of the box (in my opinion).

Of course, the seeing and visibility are key as if the atmospheric turbulence is worse, the view through the scope will be worse too.

I've just had a Skywatcher 8-24mm zoom which, although not the best you can buy by a long shot, I chose to see how it performs and as an upgrade to the std EP's. I have to say, it is clearly better and pin sharp down to about 12mm. After that it softens, but at 8mm it is still better than the std 10mm EP by a good measure.

Also from my recent experience, with the SW 130, I wouldn't bother going below 8mm really. I recently bought (and then sold again) a Celestron Xcel LX 5mm EP. A lovely piece of kit, but 5mm is beyond the practical power of our telescope and really was quite poor.

Good luck and keep at it :D

Scott.

To be fair, I haven't found the EPs to be that bad - I have the same SW Kit - but the Barlow is SHOCKING.

I was looking at Saturn on Thursday night with just the 10mm and it was absolutely pin sharp. I could clearly see the rings, the gap between the planet and the rings and, with averted vision, the gaps in the rings themselves. Then I put the Barlow in and couldn't see a thing...and for not that much difference in size. Having said that, I'm sure there are differences in quality between individual EPs and I might just have got lucky!

So my first buy will be a decent Barlow. Then I'll start improving my EP collection.

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a sky watcher explorer 130mm (f/900). This telescope came with two eyepieces (10mm and 25mm) and a 2X Barlow lens. Can anyone tell me the make of these eyepieces? I believe Sunday night is the best time of the year for viewing Saturn? Are these eyepieces sufficient for such a viewing? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Having read your post yesterday, I went out last night (14/4/12) and had some of the best viewing conditions since getting my new scope which is similar to your`s. I was toying with the idea of your scope 'M' or the 'P' version. I was advised by Rother Valley Optics that without doubt the 'P' is far better, as its parabolic, so that was the purchase. I`m not sure why the parabolic is better, maybe someone on here could explain as I would be interested. The issued EP`s are, in my humble opinion very, very good, and this was confirmed whilst viewing Saturn last night as the views were really clear. I must have been very lucky but I use the 2 x Barlow (Not supplied), 25mm, 10mm & 7.5mm (Not supplied) with excellent results. The EP`s are Plossl.

Archived