NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon filter

What would be the best filter for viewing the moon, so I don't burn my eyeballs out. Any brand better than others, while your here what about other filters for viewing planets grey blobs and the like.

Gary

explorer 300pds

I like the Baader Neodymium - cuts light pollution and takes the edge of lunar light. But it's not as good at cutting intensity as a 'true' neutral density filter. Having said that, I just allow my eye to adapt to the lunar brightness, after 30 seconds it doesn't dazzle anymore.

Not sure how relevant this is, but my Skywatcher 150P allows you to leave the main cover on, and just unscrew a small cap. This reduces the aperture significantly, allowing you to view the moon comfortably without a filter. As a newbie, I don't know if this is a standard feature on most scopes, but it wasn't mentioned in the instructions - I found it by accident.

Simon

Not sure how relevant this is, but my Skywatcher 150P allows you to leave the main cover on, and just unscrew a small cap. This reduces the aperture significantly, allowing you to view the moon comfortably without a filter. As a newbie, I don't know if this is a standard feature on most scopes, but it wasn't mentioned in the instructions - I found it by accident.

Simon

Using a small aperture also reduces resolution dramatically. The feature is sometimes used for solar observation, although I much prefer full aperture solar filters.

I have a moon filter that came with a scope, a ND 0.96 and a neodynium and I don't use any for the moon

Hey Chris - what is the Neodynium filter like (OK I know it is small and round!!). Worth getting do you think? Is yours the Baader version?

In answer to the main question, I use both a moon filter and a ND depending on how full the moon is - the moon filter when it is a crescent and then the ND as more comes into view.

Well in fairness I only used it for the first time last night but I was very impressed. It worked great against light pollution and help with contrast on a few things, I didn't say out that long though because I wasn't very well. To some it up, I'm glad I bought it.

Might try one of those myself Deacon. Be interesting to compare it with the Neodymium I generally use. Actually, I tend to go for the moon last in a session - that way it doesn't matter so much if its a bit bright and hurting my nightvision.

• 2 months later...

I have GSO polarizing filter(s). It's great, plus I get another eyepiece tube which makes using other filters on various magnification useful. Adds only an inch of focus travel unlike other similar products.

Anyhow I've chosen it over ND as of variability, on 4% transmittance details on planets are reduced, so I bring it to some 10%. I see no uniformity or vignetting with it. Also, it's much better for daytime use than ND.

Did not try it on my new 16" and on very high powers though, at 300x + ND might be better but I don't know...

Simon

I do this for the moon... works a treat and costs nothing! :D

What would be the best filter for viewing the moon, so I don't burn my eyeballs out. Any brand better than others, while your here what about other filters for viewing planets grey blobs and the like.

Gary

explorer 300pds

I have a cheapy £5 moon filter jobby, it works a treat. It cuts out a lot of glare and I can view for ages

I did have one "moon filter" that came with the Konus 114mm F=500 scope (now rebuilt as kiddies miniDob). It was a horrible cheap plastic thingy with a distinct green cast. It was like looking through ancient stained glass. Yes, it did cut glare, but, unfortunately, it also cut most of the interesting detail.

Hi , I have the Baader moon filter as well and its very , very good . It takes the edge off without loss of natural colour and sharpness .

Before I got it viewing an even 10 day old moon was to bright in my 127 triplet APO , yes the old 'blind in one eye trick' it aint much fun , kinda wanys to make me want to walk in circles ,, ha ha ha .

Brian.

I did have one "moon filter" that came with the Konus 114mm F=500 scope (now rebuilt as kiddies miniDob). It was a horrible cheap plastic thingy with a distinct green cast. It was like looking through ancient stained glass. Yes, it did cut glare, but, unfortunately, it also cut most of the interesting detail.

Sounds familiar :) However, try to pair it with some higher power when viewing Mars for great views on its caps and also enhancing details on Jupiter and Saturn :) Red and yellow are the best for those still.

Sounds familiar :) However, try to pair it with some higher power when viewing Mars for great views on its caps and also enhancing details on Jupiter and Saturn :) Red and yellow are the best for those still.

I prefer to look at Mars and Jupiter without filters, and this piece unspeakable plant-nutrition (there, I didn't say it ;) ) is certainly not going to help. A proper green filter might assist, but not this.

I like blue and purple on Jupiter. Yellow works good as a subsParus majorue moon filter. Edit: (Not sure why "s u b s t I t u t e" is getting autocorrected to that nonsense, lol).

Archived