NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EEK !!! Filthy New Primary

Looks like clingfilm or something in that photo... The streaky shadows show just how buggered it is though, unlucky mate :)

It looks just like cling film has been removed of it but it has not been cleaned after. Looks like ill be cleaning it :|

It looks just like cling film has been removed of it but it has not been cleaned after. Looks like ill be cleaning it :|

Don't clean it, just send it back. I know the waiting and hassle are unwanted, but you might void the warranty by attempting to clean it, and if it doesn't come off, you're screwed. Cleaning a mirror is always a last ditched attempt.

I excitedly received my first SW 200p only to find what looked like blue/green watermarks across the primary, in poor light not that noticeable in day light looked really bad, apparently adhesive residue left behind when removing protective film after assembly, advised to clean ....NO WAY....expected it to be perfect, went back for refund along with all the accessories. China's product quality? lost my confidence in ordering another and now the supply shortages are putting me off getting another all together.

Yeah Earl, ring the supplier and get an exchange. That don't look right to me, somehow.

Get that tube flocked eventually too... look at that glare on the sides from the torchlight

Strange thing is it looks fine in daylight.
Never rely on a torch test - a daytime natural light check will tell you the true story.

Steve is right. The 'flashlight test' is infamous as most telescope optics look rough when subjected to it. Meade mention it on their website HERE

3. Inspecting the Optics: Note on the "Flashlight" Test

If a flashlight or other high-intensity light source is pointed down the main telescope tube, you may at first be shocked at the appearance of the optics. To the uninitiated, the view (depending on your line of sight and the angle the light is coming from) may reveal what would appear to be scratches, dark or bright spots, or just generally uneven coatings, giving the appearance of poor surface quality. These effects are only seen when a high intensity light is transmitted through lenses or reflected off the mirrors, and can be seen on any high quality optical system, including the giant research telescopes in use today. It should be pointed out, however, that optical quality cannot be judged by this grossly misleading "test," but through careful star testing. The Flashlight Test causes even the very best optics to look "terrible."

If it makes you uncomfortable Earl we'll accept it back then refund but please be assured - it isn't faulty :)

HTH,

Steve

I know what you mean :)

Something else you might notice in certain light or when the mirror is dewed is what looks like smokey/petrol-blue shading. I am less certain what causes that but it is common and, apparently, is the mirror's protective silicon-dioxide overcoat.

HTH,

Steve

Archived