SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pocket star atlas

What is the recommended star atlas to have out in the garden? Want something I can use to help me find things other than just relying in Turn Left at Orion.

I want to get something that shows me everything in a given area of sky of my choosing.

I use stellarium religiously, and own a laptop - I just dont like the idea of getting my laptop out to the garden... it cost more than most decent scopes :/

I just wanted something a bit more....well... booky and something I can take away with me and use with a pair of bins

I also dont own a printer :)

Unless you take print outs, outside in clear plastic wallets, of the area of interest, you are down to the Pocket Sky Atlas, which I think many people would not wish to be without in their kit :)

I use Stellarium at home for research and for getting coordinates.

In the field I use sky and telescope pocket sky atlas. The pocket atlas is excellent, I bought it following several recommendations; it has not disappointed.

Incidentally; it contains printed telrad circles so you plan your starhopping for use with your telrad finder

:)

Google Sky Map and any of the other planetarium apps/programmes are very good BUT using a laptop or smartphone outside ruins your night vision. It is fine to use them to orient yourself with the skies, but if you actually want to see anything either buy an atlas or print the pages off and use a dim red torch to check them whilst outside. Your eyes take up to half an hour to properly adjust to the dark, if you are away from light pollution.

Stu

Archived