NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ethos 13mm as a purpose in life (of stargazing)

ismangil

Btw, I think my 15mm BST is great, but once I'd bought the first 82 it was a very slippery slope! I was also (very kindly) shown some sky with an Ethos and scope much bigger scope than mine recently...must resist :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Resurrecting this thread, as a 13mm Ethos just popped up in UK ABS! £365! Not for me currently, as I have just instead taking the well trodden path of getting a 13mm Nagler instead...

I have a 13mm Ethos and as superb as it is, if I had a 17mm and 22mm Nagler, and was in the market for another wide field, I think I'd buy the 12mm T4. This gives more options and you get roughly the same field with the 17mm T4.

That said, I am happy I have a 13mm Ethos and use it a lot, especially in my big dob where it and the 26mm T5 are virtually all I need unless doing planetary/lunar when I prefer eyepieces like BGOs and my Nagler zoom.

Yes Shane good point.

I've travelled the Nagler to Ethos route and, on reflection, I don't regret the investment. The differences are small but there and, at the moment, I'm pleased to have them.

You can have a lot of enjoyment with eyepieces costing 1/10th as much of course :)

That was my Ethos....sniff!:) Just needed the money at the moment! I will be looking out for a Nagler 13mm (a more realistic eyepiece for me at the moment!) soon to try and 'nearly' fill the void in my set.

It's gone to another SGLer (well, I think he is) for what I consider a fair price compared to what I actually paid for it new a couple of years ago - not the mad new prices!

I have to be realistic at the moment as work has dried up a bit and becouse the Ethos just wasn't getting used as much as it should (bit of a crime!) it had to find a new home - I think its new owner will be using it a great deal!

Ho Hum

Doc

Ah I see 7mm and 16mm UWAN WO has popped up at £95 apiece.

Quick somebody get them...

Nice Nagler alternative from what I read here...

On mobile (excuse the strange predictive words...)

Ah I see 7mm and 16mm UWAN WO has popped up at £95 apiece.

Quick somebody get them...

Nice Nagler alternative from what I read here...

On mobile (excuse the strange predictive words...)

I could have predicted these coming up for sale, I was looking for weeks for used 7 & 16 UWANs/ Nirvanas but caved in and bought new.

I may have to test my patience and hold out for a used 28mm now.

Being relatively new to reflector telescope technologies and accessories along with the companies that design and produce such products.

Would it be correct in saying that Televue products are the "Rolls Royce" in the world of telescope optics.

....Would it be correct in saying that Televue products are the "Rolls Royce" in the world of telescope optics.....

Tele Vue certainly produce top drawer stuff. Other brands in the same niche would include Pentax, Takahashi and Astro Physics. Generally you pay for what you get with astronomy equipment as for other scientific instruments but there is equipment at much lower prices which can give very satisfying results.

From the review:

"If you have an Ethos don't fret about not having a Nikon HW. The difference is almost non-existent between the two..."

Thats a relief - I don't happen to have 1,700 Euros spare at the moment !

i still struggle to justify TV's price's?

I got to play with an Ipad 2 today and soooo did not want to hand it back :)

I said to the wife " I would love one of these but they are silly money"

Good job she doesn't know how much I've spent on ep's :)

Archived