Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ethos 13mm as a purpose in life (of stargazing)

ismangil

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tele Vue certainly produce top drawer stuff. Other brands in the same niche would include Pentax, Takahashi and Astro Physics. Generally you pay for what you get with astronomy equipment as for other scientific instruments but there is equipment at much lower prices which can give very satisfying results.

Thanks John for your reply.

Looks like my question generated quite a discussion.

TeleVue is the road that I will be going down.

My first purchase will be a Powermate x 2 (2")

Being relatively new to reflector telescope technologies and accessories along with the companies that design and produce such products.

Would it be correct in saying that Televue products are the "Rolls Royce" in the world of telescope optics.

In a car analogy, I would put TeleVue as BMW or Mercedes. Because as discussed there are Nikon if you want to pay more so even more exclusive owners club :)

On mobile (excuse the strange predictive words...)

In a car analogy, I would put TeleVue as BMW or Mercedes. Because as discussed there are Nikon if you want to pay more so even more exclusive owners club :)

More exclusive, yes, but almost entirely because of the prohibitive price. I've read detailed comparisons between Ethos and Nikon over on CN. While (apparently) the Nikon does actually perform better, by all accounts it's by a barely noticable amount, with the author often saying "I had to look which is in the focuser at times" because performance on some scopes is identical.

So in car analogies I'd sooner say that the TV are Ferrari's; very expensive, very good performers that everyone's heard of, and the Nikon are something more exotic and rare like a Pagani Zonda. They didn't sell much more of these eyepieces than Pagani sold Zonda's either :)

• 4 weeks later...

Strange, 8mm Ethos not as popular as 13 or more?

http://www.astrobuys....php?view=57624

On mobile (excuse the strange predictive words...)

Depends on the focal length of the scope I guess. I have one and the quality is just as good as the 13mm and 6mm though the eye relief of the 8 & 6mm's feels a touch tighter than the 15mm that the spec says.

Maybe the Delos, with a new price a bit less that the above seller is asking for the Ethos, is proving more tempting for prospective buyers.

with the focal length of my scopes (1600mm and 1840mm) I need lots of options at the higher mag end so cannot have all my eggs in one ethodial basket - I have a 6-3mm zoom, 7mm BGO, 8mm Radian, 9mm BGO, 10mm Radian, 12.5mm BGO and 15mm TV Plossl to cover all aspects of seeing and use them all. the cost of them all used was not much more than the one used 8mm Ethos mentioned. I can certainly vouch for Mike who is selling it. he's sound.

More exclusive, yes, but almost entirely because of the prohibitive price. I've read detailed comparisons between Ethos and Nikon over on CN. While (apparently) the Nikon does actually perform better, by all accounts it's by a barely noticable amount, with the author often saying "I had to look which is in the focuser at times" because performance on some scopes is identical.

Nikon has crazy price outside Japan, but inside Japan the 17 HW was slightly cheaper than their 17 Ethos by about £4.30. Not because the Nikon was cheap, but because the Ethos 17 was around £770 each. I thought TV prices in UK were expensive but after I saw this Japanese TV price the crazy Nikon price make sense.

post-9327-0-23526800-1340207853_thumb.jp

post-9327-0-08084300-1340207866_thumb.jp

Archived