Any decent scopes for <£155?

Spoon

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its best to know a few other details to help you ;)

what objects do you want to view, (planets, Deepspace objects,double stars ect) do you want to use it for anything else like astrophotography or afocal or even planetary photography

and will you be selling the current one to finiance the new one?

the best bet is somthing like the 150p dobsonian scope very easy to use, but not good for photos (apart from webcam or afocal)

and btw welcome to sgl

As already said above, your first starting point is what is it you intend to do with the scope. I'm confused by your budget of £155 as you mention in an earlier post that you had around "...the £170 mark"? It might be easier for you to perhaps start with how much you actually want to spend, then on what you would like to see so that we are then in a position to offer a recommendation. Have you looked at the First Light Optics site and did you see anything there that was of interest?

James

i currently have a £60 celestron travel scope 70. pretty bad. but I would like to be able to see fine details on Jupiter, Cassini division on Saturn. along with loads of deep sky objects

i currently have a £60 celestron travel scope 70. pretty bad. but I would like to be able to see fine details on Jupiter, Cassini division on Saturn. along with loads of deep sky objects

Welcome to the forum !

To achieve your ambitions with your budget I think the only solution is a 150mm or 200mm dobsonian mounted newtonian such as the Skywatcher Skyliners. Now your budget has grown a little you can get a new 150mm but, if you are patient, your budget would get a good used 200mm one which has even more potential of course.

Either would be a big step up from your current 70mm.

Welcome to the forum !

To achieve your ambitions with your budget I think the only solution is a 150mm or 200mm dobsonian mounted newtonian such as the Skywatcher Skyliners. Now your budget has grown a little you can get a new 150mm but, if you are patient, your budget would get a good used 200mm one which has even more potential of course.

Either would be a big step up from your current 70mm.

I looked on gumtree and i can get a Skyliner 150 for £100 but it is in Falkirk. there is a Seben Big Boss on gumtree for £70 in the same area as me

I looked on gumtree and i can get a Skyliner 150 for £100 but it is in Falkirk. there is a Seben Big Boss on gumtree for £70 in the same area as me

Hi and welcome.

The Seben Big Boss gets some bad comments so I would be a bit careful about that one.

Cheers

I agree with Bombassa regarding the Seben scope, much better sticking with a main manufacturer like Skywatcher, Celestron. Their quality control is much better, the eyepieces that come with them are pretty good (better than the stuff you got years ago) and of course if you experience any problems or want to change some of the kit (e.g focuser) there are plenty of people on the forum who will have done the same and can advise you on the best course of action.

There's no rush as the stars aren't going anywhere, so I would save a little extra and (as John has suggested above) go for 200p as its the UK's best selling scope and for good reason, easy to transport and store away, plenty of aperture to resolve detail and a good all rounder on planets and deep sky objects. The ultimate option is to pick one of these up second hand - if you can find one, which should tell you all you need to know about their performance because people are reluctant to part with them.

Clear skies

James

Sorry just saw your reply. Yes the SkyWatcher 200P is a dobsonian and you can see it and its specifications here.

Clear skies

James

a bit over my budget. That would probably be my upgrade from my next upgrade

Archived