Hello from Nottingham

marshy123

Hey everyone. My name is Chris and I reside near Nottingham, UK. Had a telescope for about a year but due to moving house too many times (don't ask!) I have been slow to get started. I've been back in the (hopefully permanent) new garden getting set up and fiddling for about a month now. I'm having the obvious beginner problems so thought I would jump on here and see if I could pick brains and share bits as I learn stuff. Got the best scope I could afford - after much research, a Skywatcher 130 Newt Reflector with an EQ2 Equatorial Mount, red dot finder and RA motor was purchased. I've also converted a philips SPC900 webcam ready for imaging and got an adaptor for my pentax DSLR. Lots of rambling and gnashing of teeth to follow... :(

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum. I think you will be fine with your setup for webcam imaging, but not sure how well the EQ2 will manage with the extra weight of the DSLR for AP?, although I am by no means an expert on this, so someone more knowledgeable may give better advice :(

Cheers guys, forgot to mention where I'm trying to get to; I am mainly interested in getting some astrophotography done, mostly with the Philips webcam. Thought I would start on the moon cos it's really big and that!

Off to the beginner's section to start bombarding you all with questions! See you in there and thanks again for the warm welcome!

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum. Astro imaging with a webcam is fairly straightforward and will allow you to image the moon and planets but not for deep sky objects (DSO's) like galaxies and nebula. There is quite a lot of free software out there to help you process the collected image data, names which include Registax, Sharpcap, Wx Astrocapture and Craterlet. Can I suggest getting hold of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.99) that will tell you what you need and why you need it to produce good consistent astro images. I know you are using the webcam for now but the 'dark art' (astrophotography:D) will eventually seduce you in further so this book will help provide a very comprehensive overview and to help you formulate a realistic budget.

Clear skies and look forward to seeing those images!

James

Archived