NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camera only shots

Hi All,

Few shots from last night using just the camera (Canon 7D) on a tripod. I don't have a remote nor could be bothered to use APT. but camera has a 2 second self timer, so used that.

Lenses were either the 15-85 kit lens or a Sigma 30mm prime.

Cheers

Ian

-------------------------------------------------------

irRsDUv6q5AtD.png

ibnnLjOhYb3A1G.png

ibtDJCZMLFvgWm.png

ibr9Kf2EwEizyl.png

Oh, thanks everyone, *blush*

Steve, maybe company filter indeed. Minus.com is also blocked at my work but astrobin.com isn't so I'll move over to there :icon_salut:

Cheers

Ian

P.s. I had the last one printed at 30" x 20" and is up on the wall in my "astro" shot position on the stairs. Really happy with it :D

• 2 weeks later...

stunning - nice one

Theres an old disused pub on the Top of the Epynt range just outside Brecon - in the summer I'm going back up there with a camera and Tripod and try and use the Milky Way as a back drop with the pub at the forefront.

need a bit of practice to get it as good as yours (only got an Olympus E500 aswel so may be pushing it a bit)

No reason why not Jules :D

As long as you can go manual, be able to set aperture, shutter speed and ISO as you see fit, then yes.

Only other thing you would need is a tripod and a method of triggering the shutter without touching the camera. In this case I simply had it on a 2 second self timer.

From what I remember (I'm not on my PC), most shots were ISO400, aperture a stop or two down from wide open and shutter speeds of between 1/3 of a second to around 4 seconds. Obviously it's all a bit hit and miss as light levels change quickly after sunset but you soon get the hang of it.

Most important thing is to keep an eye on what you have just taken ("chimping" in photographer terms). If you have the option, also keep a good eye on the histogram. It is easier to understand if under or over exposed from a histogram. Relying on just what the image looks like on a LCD on the back of the camera isn't that reliable. Photos, unless way way out, always look great on the back of the camera. :(

Cheers

Ian

Incredible! You're picture of Orion is way better than what I can see with the naked eye, even accounting for magnification. One can totally see the Great Nebula. Does that mean there is too much light pollution where I live, or is it your camera and technique? And you seem to be imaging at dusk and early evening. Wow, I can just see the brightest stars around that time.

Archived