NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Well... Should I sell my (recently bought) 24mm Hyperion and my Ultima 2x barlow and get the Hyperion zoom???????

...<snip> But on the downside the zoom doesn't go down to 68 degree fov of the fixed focal length one in 24mm mode. Since I got my 24mm fixed I love it and the fact that it goes to 68 degree is a big thing for me.

Swap 68 degrees for 50 degrees :)

I couldn't go back to such a narrow view on what I consider as my widefield 'search' EP. So my advice is stick with the fixed focal length you already have.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

50 degrees at the 24mm end is actually quite wide for a zoom. Only the Leica ASPH has wider field at the long end (60deg).

Most other zoom starts at 40 deg at the long end and ends at 50deg at the short end. Pentax starts with a 38 deg tunnel vision which gives it an orthoscopic feel.

Really I think my decision has been made. Keep what I have and add either an 8 or 10 Hyperion to my set-up rather than getting the zoom. After all it isn't that difficult swapping ep's over. If that is the most difficult thing then I can certainly live with that. What I cannot live with is forgoing the wide fov that I get with my new fixed 24mm Hyperion. It has seriously blown me away with how good it is. Fair enough I haven't had anything to compare it with apart from the stock 25mm that came with the scope, but I am sold on the Hyperions now. Just got to get and order in. Hope FLO have them in stock......

Due to my limited mobility,i am always looking for ways to lessen the amount of gear i have to move about. Thats what makes the zoom suitable for me.

Me too Paul. Mine arrived this morning from FLO only ordered yesterday along with Skytron power cable for 8SE. So will not have to lug Revelation case around so much..ideal. Can't wait to try it tonight.

btw Paul i notice you have the name 'Mick' at side of your 8SE in your signature. Is this your nickname for your scope? have'nt got round to naming mine yet 'Bessie' maybe...

Hi Steve. You will quickly come to love the zoom EP. I had great views last night of Mars,Saturn and the trio of galaxies in Leo.

I named my scope Mick after a member here who really helped me out a couple of months ago when i was looking for the biggest,lightest scope i could get.

Paul

Hi Steve. You will quickly come to love the zoom EP. I had great views last night of Mars,Saturn and the trio of galaxies in Leo.

I named my scope Mick after a member here who really helped me out a couple of months ago when i was looking for the biggest,lightest scope i could get.

Paul

hehe! :( Perhaps i should call mine Paul as it was reading yours posts in search of a scope and deciding on the 8SE which helped me make my mind up to get one too though i would have loved the CPC800 it was just too heavy for my disability.

I am using mine on the 1.25" system. My 8SE can take a 2" visual back and the zoom comes with a 2" adapter thingie. For now though i have no plans to upgrade to 2". I hear 2" gives you a wider FOV, but is that the case still with SCT's? They have a narrow(er) FOV to begin with.

I've yet to try the Hyperion with my Heritage 130P.

Maybe next year, i'll go for 2".

Really the BIG question regarding the Hyperion zoom is..................."Does it really replace a whole EP collection of the same size (8-24mm)?".

In my limited experience with the EP, i have to be honest and say yes (almost). I do feel that single EP's win by a hairs width.

In saying this though the quality of view is very little between and the zoom has the advantage of being the only EP you need to take out with you.

Cost is another factor. The zoom is cheaper then collecting single high quality EP's of the same range.

Cheers Paul

Just wondered if it made a difference either way

Quality wise!!!!!

Probably not.

I think to spend the money on the Hyperion zoom, you really do need to have a good reason (such as mine).........."less to carry is better", to invest in one.

Hi

check the sky at night review online for the meade 8 - 24mm

Best not to trust S@N review. Go to various forums and read what people have to say about those zoom eyepiece. You will quickly see the discrepancy between S@N reviews and user feedbacks.

Really the BIG question regarding the Hyperion zoom is..................."Does it really replace a whole EP collection of the same size (8-24mm)?".

In my limited experience with the EP, i have to be honest and say yes (almost). I do feel that single EP's win by a hairs width.

In saying this though the quality of view is very little between and the zoom has the advantage of being the only EP you need to take out with you.

Cost is another factor. The zoom is cheaper then collecting single high quality EP's of the same range.

Great info, but a big disadvantage with the zoom is the smaller 50 degree field of view at 24mm. The advantages of convenience are balanced by the compromise for widefield views. That may be an issue or not, depending on each person's viewing preferences.

The cost issue is another good point. The zoom costs £169 + £5 delivery from FLO compared to £94 for single Hyperions. Using the 26mm plossl most of us appear to get with our telescopes for our 'widefield' option, I would look at buying 28mm & 14mm fine tuning rings, a 21mm Hyperion, and a 13mm Hyperion. This gives the following focal lengths - 21mm, 17.6mm, 15.5mm, 14mm, 13mm, 10.8mm, 9.2mm, and 8.1mm. Total cost new £199.32 + £5 delivery. So the zoom saves £30 (or the cost of that plossl if we didn't already have one).

The cost of the zoom also does depend on being able to afford that outlay in one go. Some can, others can't. Building a collection of single eyepieces can be more 'affordable' as the individual items are cheaper.

Happy observing :(

"Does it really replace a whole EP collection of the same size"

It won't replace a set of hyperion fixed stop eyepieces - absolutely not. But if you compare it to a beginners set of eyepieces from any of the major brands costing around £130 or more - it replaces them with a very serious upgrade in quality - for only another £30 or so you're into proper eyepiece territory.

The set eyepieces tend to be only marginally better than supplied eyepieces - they often contain one or two pinhole high power eyepieces that I personally found unusable - along with a naff barlow and half a dozen filters a beginner is not very likely to use. My set only had only a single useful eyepiece - and imho the best thing about it was the aluminium case (which now houses the Hyperion Zoom lol).

This is why I allways recommend it for newbies considering getting a set - my experience was a total letdown and I would've preferred to get the zoom any day - the set was money wasted by comparison. But it won't replace a set of Televues lol :(

Well ....

i went and did it !

sold all me bits, ordered a Skyliner 250px and a Baader 8-24.

The Baader arrived today , but no scope til Monday.

So by the law according to clear skies i reckon you'll all have great viewing til Monday:)

thanks again to all on here for your advice

going very well. Managed to see all planets with no problems and orion nebula. even star cluster but it was too far away so was just a blob, but was amazed i was able to find it :(

I, just awaiting for barlow lens and few other lenses or a zoom lens, not certain yet. Cause I want more detail!

I hope for you that when ur scope arrives skies will be just as clear as past few days

Hi would I be right in assuming that the Hyp zoom suffers from astigmatism in fast scopes like mine (f4.7) in the same way as the individual Hyps do? It would be ideal for me but I am staying away on that assumption.

Archived