Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Spain

LaurieY

I am a beginner in Astronomy, having been thinking about it for longer than I care to remember. Now I'm retired in Spain I don't have any excuses, like no spare time, cloudy skies etc.

So far I have found the discussions here very helpful & just wish I'd found it earlier - before committing money.

I have just bought my first scope, Celestron XLT150 Newtonian and after a couple of weeks I am happy with the basic choice but realize the mount may be the limiting factor going forward. I have now found a local enthusiast/retailer who has helped me get set up & will hopefully help me into the Spanish astro society here.

I am getting interested in webcam imaging & intend to do at least the SC1 mods. This will soon expose my choice of mount I expect. Next step is almost certainly motor drive for the CG-4 or maybe I should take a big breath & change the mount first.

Regards

Laurie

Hi Laurie, and welcome to the forum.

A 150 Newtonian is a good 'starter scope', and should give your many hours of enjoyment.

The mount, as you suggest, my be a limiting factor if you ultimately want to get into doing some 'astro-inaging', but for visual it shouldn't be a problem.

A lot of newcomers to the hobby, and we've all been in that position, consider the 'mount' as a secondary to the scope. However, the best scope that money can buy, is only as good as the mount it 'sits' on.

If you buy a good mount, it will serve you well for the future, as you may upgrade your scope from time-to-time, but a good mount would remain with you.

Dave

A warm welcome Laurie. You will not regret joining this forum. In fact I am sure you'll find alot of information as well as fun here :wink: Good luck in this fabulous activity 8)

Marius

Jeff, No this one is in Malaga, though I know there many local local societies over the country with web links to each other.

In Almeria there is Asociación Astronómica “ORIÓN” de Almería ( http://www.ruano.com/orion ) there is a location map. There is another site with a link to "Orion" at http://www.portalciencia.net/orion.html.

If nothing else it'll help with your Spanish, though from my experience there are other extranjeros involved who can help with that.

Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Thats a shame!! 4 hora's distancia.

Thanks for the links I'm sure i can make use of them,i thought my nearest was Cartagena.

And yes free Spanish lessons available here although i can't make use of them at moment any more, my small goto is in Spanish so its necesario rapido.

Cheers

Jeff.

Archived