Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars March 5th 5x powermate + 2x barlow

Space Cowboy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice your now doing what im trying to do, get that reall feel.Like it, processing looks like your getting in the zone i think. Nice one.Its actually encouraging that this shot and my recent posts have similar balance. We cant be both wrong surely, a bit more blue in yours here, but yours is more accurate i think, when i tell reg to do a rgb balance this is what i get. But im straying from that a little, as i think i prefer the less blue dominance. But as mentioned i think yours might be more accurate Stuart

Thanks Neil. Still struggling to fall in love with these images. I like the detail but they just lack meat. Seem to be spending all my time trying to keep the noise down and that pesky artifact rather than enhance the good stuff.

I know what you mean about Registax auto rgb leaving a blue kinda washed out image but when I reduce gamma to bring out the contrast and then raise white in image analyser the tone turns more red. This one went too red so I put it back through auto rgb in Reg and I guess that's why its more blue.

I will post up a stacked TIFF if you want to have a play Neil.:D

Great image Stuart .. nice and big, no need to squint to pick out the details :D

I think Luke has done a very good job on sharpening the image and teasing out more detail... its a cracker.

Makes me think about the possibilities of a 12" auto dob ... not too expensive (that is until I mention it to my wife when a comparison with holidays always raises ist ugly head !) :headbang:

Alan

Thanks Neil. Still struggling to fall in love with these images. I like the detail but they just lack meat. Seem to be spending all my time trying to keep the noise down and that pesky artifact rather than enhance the good stuff.

I know what you mean about Registax auto rgb leaving a blue kinda washed out image but when I reduce gamma to bring out the contrast and then raise white in image analyser the tone turns more red. This one went too red so I put it back through auto rgb in Reg and I guess that's why its more blue.

I will post up a stacked TIFF if you want to have a play Neil.:D

ok just for fun, just wavelets would be good no other adjusts. I probably couldnt do any better though, think your doing ok

Here is another f57 repro this time best 4500 frames selected in PIPP and stacked in AS!2. I like this better, nice cloud detail and haze on the left limb which is what I was seeing during capture.

Tried to attach the raw tiff stack but server is playing up.

space-cowboy-albums-mars-picture16139-output-g4-b3-ap5.png

Here is another f57 repro this time best 4500 frames selected in PIPP and stacked in AS!2. I like this better, nice cloud detail and haze on the left limb which is what I was seeing during capture.

Tried to attach the raw tiff stack but server is playing up.

space-cowboy-albums-mars-picture16139-output-g4-b3-ap5.png

Thats quality, great capture and processing

Great image Stuart .. nice and big, no need to squint to pick out the details :headbang:

I think Luke has done a very good job on sharpening the image and teasing out more detail... its a cracker.

Makes me think about the possibilities of a 12" auto dob ... not too expensive (that is until I mention it to my wife when a comparison with holidays always raises ist ugly head !) :)

Alan

Alan that 12" Dob is great value for sure and would take some great Saturn shots though would it be that much better for Mars and Jupiter than what you've got?

I fantasize about the 14" GOTO Dob but it would be massive...not very practical. :D

excellent Stuart your getting some amazing results :)

dobs are not meant for imaging lol :headbang:

last process looks great, see bit more detail, and nice colour ;)

very well done aswell on your pics tv appearance's aswell earlier this year on Stargazing Live n Sky @ Night,

well deserved was cracking shot

your Jupiter looked great on my HD tv, must have been a nice surprise :D

Here is another f57

14.250m fl.. and there was me worried about 1430mm! However your 250mm diameter gives you about 0.46 arcsec limit before blurring which helps :D

I'd be tempted to run a 10x drizzle on rather than a 4x that most packages seem to offer.

Cheers James, glad you saw my moments of fame lol Certainly put a spring in my step! Just a pain when I get pestered by groupies during my imaging sessions :D

Thanks Nick you've reminded me to try drizzle....did it on my smaller shots last week but forgot to try on this. AS!2 does 3x max. What would do 10x?

Thanks Nick you've reminded me to try drizzle....did it on my smaller shots last week but forgot to try on this. AS!2 does 3x max. What would do 10x?

10x would take too long - last time I tried it, it took 24 hours to process 15 frames into a stacked image due to the memory requirements! The accuracy just means you get a better registration and diminishing return on pixel accuracy on rotation within the algorithm (if they do rotations as part of their implementation). However it resulted in being able to split E and F in the M42 trapezium which I couldn't get out of 4x.

Archived