Hi all.

concal

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Concal and welcome to the forum.

If imaging is your goal, then may I suggest that you get hold of a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which will tell you all you need to know on what kit you need, why you need it, to achieve the level of images that you are after. There is plenty of free software available on the internet that is great to use and will certainly help you organize and extract the most out of the 'data' you have collected. However, there are one or two pieces of software that are equally as good that you will need to pay for to get the ultimate results, so bare this in mind when you are calculating your budget. Planets and the moon are straightforward with a simple webcam, it's when you start imaging those faint distant galaxies and nebula when all the 'fun' (....frustration) kicks in. For those objects, accurate tracking is the main objective and is therefore essential to obtain a decent precise mount with a good load capacity.

The book is modestly priced and will in fact save you money if it helps you avoid buying the wrong kit by supplying you with a comprehensive overview of what you are going to need. There are some similarities with normal terrestrial photography but there are also some differences - the book will help you indentify those differences.

Clear skies for now

James

Hi concal! I'm new here too, and very new to astronomy and gazing after working out that I took some (ok very rudimentary) pics of jupiter, venus and mars the other evening.

Everyone here is really friendly and helpful and you will learn so much! Just remember to drag yourself away from the screen to look at the sky!

Archived