NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binoculars

Any recommendations for binoculars - I have no idea what I'm looking for. I've seen roof prisms, porro prisms, BAK 4 glass and prices vary wildy from £30 on Ebay to £1100 in a binocular dealer for 10 x 50s (admittedly the £1100 ones are Leica). I want something to look through in gaps between clouds but find even my old 8 x 21s are shaky (could just be me). I'm guessing larger aperture is better and mag doesn't matter too much. Thanks, Huw.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have £20 Tasco 10 x 50's and, while I rather like them, I think I'd have been better off with 7 x 50's as the shakiness is rather distracting.

I've just been looking at a binocular mount on the Sky at Night's latest coverdisc which might be worth building, but then, if it's just for a quick grab and look session, what's the point? I'd be better off setting up the scope!

Hi Huw

You certainly have one prority right, and that it is aperture and not mag that's important.

Bak-4 prisms are considered to be superior to Bak-7.

IMO the best 'all rounder', is the 10 x50, which offers a good FOV and reasonable light gathering ability, also comfortable to hold steady.

I have an old pair of Miranda 10 x 50's, which have stood the 'test of time well', and give a reasonable level of performance. They also serve well for terrestrial useage.

In addition to these, I have a pair of Celestron Skymaster 15 x 70's. I bought these following a good review of 15 x 70 bins in either Astronomy Now or S@N magazine (can't remember which), and they have not disappointed.

At this size and weight, they need to be tripod mounted for comfortable viewing, and come with a tripod mount.

As you have said, costs vary from a few pounds, to well over a thousand, and generally you get what you pay for. However, I've never thought spending mega-money on bins for amateur astro work, is really justified. The Celestron Skymasters are £79 (less 10% with SGL membership), and for my purposes are totally adequate, and reasonable value for money.

So, I guess the 'bottom line' is, stick to a sensible budget, not too cheap, nor too expensive. From then on, its really a matter of "you make your choice, and pay your money".

Hope this is of some help.

Dave

With binoculars, they get progressively better up to around £200, thereafter you need to spend large amounts of cash to see an appreciable difference. So, whilst the likes of Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss are indeed superb (the Zeiss Victory FL 56mm models are absolutely stunning!) they are not necessarily the best value for money. If your budget permits and you are looking to buy your last binocular - go for it. Otherwise you will be well served by models like the Celestron Ultima DX 8x56 Porro.

For acasual grab n go binocular I'd wait until Lidl restocks with £10 Bresser 10x50s and get one of those. They have a slightly narrow field of view and a bit of barrel distortion but still incredible value. The Lidl website tells you a week or so in advance when they're coming in. They're tough but light, and I find there's no wobble factor.

There is nothing better than sweeping the night sky with a good pair of binoculars. Large aperture low mag.

Tripod mounted binos take the strain out them a bit, but the Ideal way for prolonged forays across the galactic arms, is the pantographic mounted bins in conjuntion with a rotating deck chair or similar. This sort of enhancement to binocular use on the night sky, would give a whole new dimension to ones astronomy . The device would not be expensive to make, because most of it would be that wonderful medium to work with called wood. Of course the rotating chair is a refinement that could be dispensed with, but what th hell, if you are going to do it, go all the way. A project to be attacked when the weather won't let you do anything else.

Anyone who is an expert in creations in wood, could set the ball rolling, and be the first. He could then present his drawings and plans of the assembly to the forum for the benefit of the lesser skilled.

Now, don't put me in exile for this post, a simple get lost will do. :wink:

Ron.

As if we would do that Ron!

I'd like to put another vote for the Celestron Skymaster 15x70's, I got my best view of the Pleades on a freezing February night through them, loads of 'nebulosity' and great detail. Must have a tripod with them though! I've also got a pair of those Lidl 10x50's which I tend to keep in the car for those impromptu moments and they serve their purpose pretty well.

Tony..

I've seen roof prisms, porro prisms, BAK 4 glass and prices vary wildy from £30 on Ebay to £1100 in a binocular dealer for 10 x 50s (admittedly the £1100 ones are Leica).

That's cheap. have a look at these 25x150 for just under 15,000 USD!

Hi Huw,

Whichever size of binocular you eventually choose, one thing to bear in mind is the rule of thumb which states that, for astronomical purposes, the magnification should divide into the aperture at least four times. Therefore 10x50, (or 15x70 or 20x80 or 25x100), is fine but something like 8x30 or 20x60 is best avoided - regardless of whose name is on them.

And avoid 'zoom' models as well... :nono:

Hope this helps.

Lee.

I have a pair of the Lidl 10X50's. I like them, but even with these my hand shakes and my arms get tired really easy. They have a tripod mounting bush, but I need an adaptor (easily sourced on ebay) and a tripod. It's this last bit that's tricky. There's so many available and they range enormously in price. I'm looking for real grab and go. Anyone got any tripod recommendations?

I love how my innocent binocular question has progressed into talk of bourbon and maidens.

Will go for 7 x 50's and wait for SR to sell his rig - I think I'd probably maim myself trying to construct such finely engineered apparatus.

Huw.

On mounting ideas, you might like a slightly cheaper option than those refered to above... Try a video prop.

image.jpg

Its designed to steady camcorders, but is great for removing wobble from binos (and it only costs about a tenner). My friend (nearly 70, back problem) absolutely loves hers. It is lacking in the drinks holder department though.. so you may need an assistant

Helen

PS that's not her in the photo!!

Archived