NEQ6 synscan and EQ6 synscan?

Hi Kev

If you're talking new mounts, I think you mean EQ6 Syntrek like this;

First Light Optics - Skywatcher EQ6 Syntrek

Basically it's a non GOTO NEQ6 Pro Synscan - I bought one last year and an NEQ6 Pro (it says so on the side) turned up with a non GOTO handset and without the dual saddle.

I use mine with EQMOD and an EQDIR Lead, so I have GOTO via my laptop and saved £100 or so.

Syntrek is the same as the goto model but with a basic hand controller that only tracks and does manual movement.

As per Steve above i got the syntrek version and made a serial lead out of a usb ftdi cable. that connects to the mount and then controls the mount using eqmod and a pc.

Depend if you have a pc and where you plan on using it as a laptop may be better if you have an observatory or the goto version may be better if you plan to do a lot of visual stuff in the countryside (less hassle setting up)

Enviado desde mi GT-I9003 usando Tapatalk

I think i see something to do with the teeth on the gears wheels the NEQ6 has more for a smoother travel, dunno could be wrong...

I believe they are mechanically the same, the hand controller is where the difference is.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9003 usando Tapatalk

The basic mount and tripod is the same. For the extra £115 the NEQ6 Pro has the GoTo handset, a dual-fit saddle and a counterweight extension bar. I bought the GoTo version and use the handset. One less USB connection to throw a fit at an inopportune moment.

Mechanically and electronically the NEQ6, EQ6 Synscan and EQ6 Syntrek are the same. The differences are:

1. The NEQ6 has a wider style Losmandy dovetail saddle and counterweight bar extension.

2. The EQ6 Synscan and Syntrek are the same apart from the Synscan handset. The Syntrek can be controlled from a laptop running EQMOD and connected through an EQDIR module giving the mount goto capabilities.

3. The EQ6 mounts have the narrower Vixen dovetail saddle.

Peter

Mechanically and electronically the NEQ6, EQ6 Synscan and EQ6 Syntrek are the same. The differences are:

1. The NEQ6 has a wider style Losmandy dovetail saddle and counterweight bar extension.

Peter

I think the newer NEQ6 has a dual Vixen/Losmandy style puck. My NEQ6 came with 2 pucks - A Vixen one and a Losmandy one.

Thanks guys,

Its just that Im still talking myself into a new scope and mount (which is getting harder as I've only had two decent nights in over 4 weeks), I want to do more with photography, I know im jumping the gun a little as I've only had a scope for just over 12 months but I've done some (by my standards) decent pics and want to go further, The synscan would be better for me as I dont want to have too many cables dangling as there will be guidescope cables synscan handset cables, mount power cables, camera power cables, camera handset cables, laptop power cables, laptop & spc 880 cable (ok enough about the cables) I will use this mainly in my back garden I got an outdoor RCD twin power socket but havent got enough space for an observatory but may end up with a pier mount at some point.

Kev.

Hi Kev - others have covered this but if you're looking at second hand EQ6's the differences between the Synscan EQ6 and the Synscan NEQ6 revolve around the saddle and counterweight shaft. The most recent NEQ6's come with a dual saddle and a counterweight shaft extension. Slightly older ones came with two saddles, a vixen and a Losmandy one - if you wanted to switch you'd need to physically change the saddle. Even older ones come with just the Vixen saddle and no counterweight extension shaft.

Hope that helps.

James

If you have a laptop running then I really think you need to consider the Syntrek version and an EQDir adaptor and EQMOD to control the mount from the laptop.

There is a lot of benefit in doing it this way; it's cheaper, the guidescope can be controlled from the laptop and the corrections can be send back via EQMOD, for AP the accuracy can be better, the goto and navigation capability is on the laptop with a programme like stellarium, you don't have to faff around using the hand controller and the laptop.

If you have a laptop running then I really think you need to consider the Syntrek version and an EQDir adaptor and EQMOD to control the mount from the laptop.

There is a lot of benefit in doing it this way; it's cheaper, the guidescope can be controlled from the laptop and the corrections can be send back via EQMOD, for AP the accuracy can be better, the goto and navigation capability is on the laptop with a programme like stellarium, you don't have to faff around using the hand controller and the laptop.

I have thought about this but I got no idea on setting up etc, maybe I need to have a look into it.

Kev.

Some of you are lucky, my NEQ6 came with just a Vixen fitting :(

So did mine.

The EQ6/NEQ6 has had gradual changes to its specification apart from the SynTrek/SynScan options.

Originally EQ6 Pro was supplied with just a Vixen dovetail plate and no counterweight extension bar.

Then they brought out a version called the NEQ6 which had a Losmandy dovetail and the extension bar, which was only available bundled with a SkyWatcher Explorer 300P OTA.

Then in mid 2009 things got really confusing as they started shipping the normal EQ6 Pros (Vixen dovetail & no bar) with an NEQ6 badge on them (which is what I got).

Shortly after that the mounts were shipped with both a Losmandy and a Vixen dovetail and also the extension bar.

The current models I believe ship with a dual Losmandy/Vixen dovetail and the extension bar.

No wonder folks get confused with all these subtle changes.:D

There's no beer or brew, this is such a dodgy picture, are you sure it wasnt staged in Roswell new mexico?

Kev.

Mind you I must admit I thought a 150p would be small in the NEQ6 but it looks quite suited.

Archived