NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Think I got a potential bargain........

The missus was looking through the local facebook selling page's the other day when she came across a telescope for sale. I would guess somewhat Reluctantly, she told me about it........."err its red....its a Tasco err and it says 132T ???" I Instantly switched off as soon as the "T" word was mentioned, but asked her to find out how much the seller wanted anyway. A quick search on google resulted in some intriguing reviews by folk across the globe. Apparently some versions of these interesting little scopes where manufactured in Japan in the 80's, built by Vixen optics for Tasco and for what they are they actually produce quite surprising views. Apparently later on they where manufactured in china and quality/optics dropped off. The general consensus seemed, if you find Jap built one, snap it up, they are getting quite rare......

I decided to go for it, the missus picked it up today. Its in absolute brilliant condition, all in original box with original EP's barlow etc absolutely nothing missing even the original instruction manuals. And on the box it says MADE IN JAPAN !!

In fact is got Japan stamped everywhere, lenses, OTA etc etc.

And the best bit......the price I paid.........

£6......Yes thats right SIX whole sterling pounds!!.....:D

The tasco 132T Mini Catadioptric Newtonian complete with mini EQ table top mount. 600mm FL, 76mm aperture.

Not exactly suited to DSO work, but for ultimate grab n go :)

Would love to know more about these if anyone has any knowledge.....?

How cute!

Stan :p

post-23582-133877736099_thumb.jpg

post-23582-133877736106_thumb.jpg

post-23582-133877736114_thumb.jpg

post-23582-133877736121_thumb.jpg

post-23582-133877736134_thumb.jpg

I had one of those about 10 years years ago. I got some nice views of the moon with it - it's certainly a bargain for six quid !

I think mine was .965" eyepiece fitting - is that the same as yours ?.

Hi John, yes its .965 and comes with a 20mm and 6mm EP, as well as 2 x barlow.

However, I think I read on CN that the adaptor on the draw tube can be unscrewed revealing a thread that will take a lot of 1.25" EPs, i.e the thread that you get inside plossl EP's like skywatchers........

I was thinking of getting some baader film and using it as a solar/lunar scope. I would't have thought it would be up to much else....

Stan :D

It certainly is great, Luck doesn't come my way very often....

Just had my first light with it, a quick peak at jupiter between clouds. darker bands "just" visible with both lenses although the image is very dim at higher mags with little contrast (as expected), I think the collimation is slightly off, not sure how I will sort this as the primary isn't really adjustable....? Mini EQ mount is hard work....already thinking of making a mini dob mount.

Can't wait to test it on the lunar surface......

Stan :D

• 4 weeks later...

hello -

just procured the Tasco 132T myself, though it didn't come with a manual. have had no luck tracking one down online. can anyone point me in the right direction - a digital copy would be most welcome. the kids are impatient, and jupiter's moons await.

thanks - hP

• 9 months later...

Archived