Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Hyperion Zoom barlow 2.25x

Hobbes

Has anyone tried out the Baader Hyperion Zoom barlow 2.25x with the Mk-III Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Clickstop Zoom yet?

I already have the Mk-III and love it but want more magnification.

If anyone has any feedback I would appreciate your views.

I have the baader 2.25 barlow and the clickstop zoom.The barlow I would recommend both for the quality and the fact that it fits my skywatcher eyepieces as well.This is something that I have not seen mentioned before when people have asked what barlow to buy.The pair are not cheap but in my case well worth the money.

No I just used it a few times, it unscrewed when I used the click stop on day one and would not tighten up, a problem with the thread I would say. I tried to ignore it but the whole thing unscrewed for absoultley no reason as far I could see about two weeks later, most annoying. FLO were very good about it I have to say, top shop FLO.

Edited by Caldwell 14

I have the Baader Zoom 8-24 and use it all the time, love it...but I really wanted to get more zoom out of it and am really considering this Zoom designed for it.

For the meantime, I have been using my Shorty x2 Barlow with it...It is ok but noticed there is a very fine line between blurry...nearly clear and blurry again when trying to view planets etc...I have collimated my scope within an inch of it's life so I know it's not that...maybe ot's the conditions but I am really interested to see what this Baader Zoom can do...

I think I might take the plunge and treat myself to this :p)

I have the Baader Zoom 8-24 and use it all the time, love it...but I really wanted to get more zoom out of it and am really considering this Zoom designed for it.

For the meantime, I have been using my Shorty x2 Barlow with it...It is ok but noticed there is a very fine line between blurry...nearly clear and blurry again when trying to view planets etc...I have collimated my scope within an inch of it's life so I know it's not that...maybe ot's the conditions but I am really interested to see what this Baader Zoom can do...

I think I might take the plunge and treat myself to this :p)

Very likely to be the seeing conditions. Leave it at "nearly clear", and once every now and then you'l get a fleeting glimpse of amazing clarity.

Thanks for the heads up Jimmy! :p I was beginning to wonder to be honest...I have seen Saturn really clear one early morning so ur right, conditions are prob what's causing it.

As an update, I've took the plunge and gone for the x2.5 zoom for my Baader, couldn't help myself, it should def help with using the complete kit for the job...prob sell my x2 shorty Barlow to be fair as I can use the x2.5 on my other EP.

Thanks again :)

• 1 month later...
Come on Dan, don't keep us in suspense

Haha...Suspense over!

I have been using it now for a little while since I had it and I have had a couple of really good evenings with it! The best was prob about a month or two ago when Jupiter was still high in the sky with Venus, really crisp evening and got a real clear shot of them!

In fact, I was able to zoom right up to the 3mm with the Barlow on the Zoom and after my eye adjusted it was lovely! In fact, I haven't had a view ever like that before...Typically, everytime have used the zoom with the barlow since, I haven't had it as clear...with the warm weather setting in and cold nights it's been really hazy of late! Even going to some dark sites of recent it's still a bit hazy...Sort the weather out!! Grrr!

Have you had your zoom yet?

Dan.

Yeah cheers Dan

Used it a couple of times now, pretty impressed , cracking view of Saturn the other night ... going to have to look at the Barlow now my Celestron doesn't hold the Baader very well, come to think of it it doesn't hold the BST. very well either!

• 2 months later...

Bringing a recent thread back to life....

...have just picked up a nice Baader Hyperion Clickstop 8-24 Zoom Mark III via ABS and was considering getting the Baader 2.25 Barlow to accompany it - to give me a little extra mag when seeing allows it. This would limit how much I would need to carry when travelling with the WO66...

Are there any other SGL'ers with experience of using this combination - good or bad!

Thanks in advance,

Ian

@Jonathan - I use the Badder 24-8mm zoom on my LS60 and to be honest - it doesn't need barlowing at all - I'll try it next time the suns out but at 500mm focal length I doubt 4mm giving 125x mag will be practical to look at. The sun is only 93 million miles down the road you know lol :)