SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Hyperion Zoom barlow 2.25x

Hobbes

@Jonathan - I use the Badder 24-8mm zoom on my LS60 and to be honest - it doesn't need barlowing at all - I'll try it next time the suns out but at 500mm focal length I doubt 4mm giving 125x mag will be practical to look at. The sun is only 93 million miles down the road you know lol :)

And warm :D

@knobby - I did see that article. I don't have any other Baader EP's. In fact I'm looking to sell off most of my Skywacher/Celestron EP's and just keep the Baader zoom and buy the 2.25 barlow to go with it.

@brantuk - I appreciate that 4mm may be too much for the WO66, however being able to drop down to 7, 6 or even 5mm may be workable on some nights. At least it would be nice to have the opportunity to try...

So with my 40mm and 32mm Celestron EP's, which give an adequate field of view, would the Baader 8-24 zoom plus Baader 2.25 barlow meet the rest of my needs?

Thanks,

Ian

I have the MkIII zoom and the 2.25 Barlow and I am very pleased with them. The 2.25 Barlow is a fine piece of Kit compared to my standard Revelation 2x Barlow. The views are very clea, very straight forward to configure. The Baader Barlow is also very easy to use with other eyepieces with standard filter threads with no obvious distortion.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...
9 minutes ago, Frank the Troll said:

Quick question, I have the 2.25 barlow, how well will they work with a Hyperion 24 and 17mm lens

Cheers

I'm considering getting either a 10 or 5mm, or would that be too much mag

With which of your scopes ?

The barlow will work with those eyepieces but whether the magnification produced is useful will depend on the scope, the observation target and the seeing conditions.

I use the 2.25x Baader Barlow with a 21.5 - 7.2mm zoom eyepiece to give a 9.55mm - 3.2mm zoom. That is a very useful range with my refactors. Not so much with my 12 in dobsonian.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frank the Troll said:

For your 80mm, magnifications from 80x-160x will only be useful a small percentage of the time.

That's eyepieces of 7mm down to 3.5mm.  Obviously, a 7mm would be usable more of the time than shorter focal lengths.

If the Baader Barlow is the Hyperion Barlow, it will turn the 24mm into a 10.7mm focal length (OK) and the 17mm into a 7.6mm (also OK).

So the answer is that it will work with both.

I wouldn't buy a 10mm because of that.  A 5mm would be useful occasionally (112x), so that might be a place to spend money.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Don Pensack said:

For your 80mm, magnifications from 80x-160x will only be useful a small percentage of the time.

That's eyepieces of 7mm down to 3.5mm.  Obviously, a 7mm would be usable more of the time than shorter focal lengths.

If the Baader Barlow is the Hyperion Barlow, it will turn the 24mm into a 10.7mm focal length (OK) and the 17mm into a 7.6mm 

Yes, its the Baader Hyperion Barlow, cheers for the info.  I have a 5mm X-cell, so will try that out first at some point, but do like the Hyperions