SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

Yeah playing with wood but wait till you see my 16" truss ha ha

I've seen that one crash and this one too

Sumerian have stopped making the light weight travel scopes and also David Lukehurst has stopped too siting not enough protection for the optics? so I suspect the design is a little temperamental?

Think it looks stealthy in black though and very elegant!

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cloudy when we arrived so spent an hour wiring soupy's power tank up.

A couple of large breaks in the clouds prompted us to get the scopes set up in hope of it clearing more.

I saw a few occasional stars between the clouds but only just managed to get polar aligned and slew the scope to M57 for a one minute view before the clouds rolled in and never budged!!

Packed up after standing about chatting till about half 1!

Soupy set up at home as the clouds had cleared and by the sounds of it and managed to get the auto guider working.

I hit the sack at 4 after seeing a good 5 min view of the ISS going over.

I shall be out later though looking at the sky today!

Theres a 16" mirror and secondary on astro buy sell at present @ £400 but its F6 so would be a focal length of around 2500mm? i'll have to do some more reading crash as to how to configure things when i finally make a start?

Hello chaps,

could I ask if these dark sites you go to at winscarr and Sutton bank are Milky Way dark?

The reason I ask is that I was thinking of taking the kids out one night so they can see the Milky Way. Does it get more difficult or appear much later in the summer months?

Might try tomorrow night.

Sam

Sutton bank more than winscarr for the milky way Sammy but you can see it from both just Sutton has no light pollution looking east so it stands out more.

At this time of year its probably more 2am before you have true darkness and can see it so might be a little difficult.

It's looking good for tonight so I'm going to be venturing up to winscarr about half 9 if anyone else is?

Clumber park has brilliant blue skies so I'm hopeful for a bit of viewing tonight on my last day of holiday. Typical I only brought my 70mm frac with me again..... but I bet I can finally get them clusters in ophiuchus that were invisible at wins car under the glaring moon! Clear to the east of lp for 28 miles before Lincoln, so should be good

Hope you all get to see "stuff" tonight.

Nick (needs a big Sumerian dob) c

It was a bit difficult to tell Russ as tif clouds were blocking the view, I think it was about half 11 when I picked M57 out and getting better after that?

Hope you have a good evening Nick.

Hope you all have a good night if out. I'm not far from you Nick at centre parcs in Nottingham, so hoping for some clear skies. Couldn't bring 80mm st frac as have no mount for it and didn't have time to sort out camera tripod which i think might work after a late night last night. But I have camera and might get the chance for some star trails if nothing else.

only problem with getting dark at 2 Sammy is it is getting light at 3! :tongue:

Yeah sammy Sutton bank is a great spot to see it you can just make out the dust lanes but its late on in the night also you would have to be under dark skies for at least an hour or so first to let your eyes adapt to the dark to be able to see it properly as it is quite dim.

Here's a pic I took a few weeks bk you can just make out the dust lanes curving over the tree. http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/astronomer69/8724330204/

What are skies like up winscarr way Damian coz its clouded over here in brighouse would of loved to come up but got my kids for the weekend so am only limited to bk garden or local but not looking too good at mo with weather.

Archived