SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

Really nice to get out again, even if it was just to stand about making amusing shadows on the ground from the insanely bright moon! M13 was a washed out grey blob on a grey background, saw pretty much nothing other than literally blinding myself at the end of the night when I glimpsed the moon before packing away! And the wind brought a new meaning to a shaky eq3...

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went out last night in bk garden to try out my new guider had no luck with it tho need to do some reading up on it. But all was not wasted got my best Saturn images to date so happy with that shows the new filter is what I needed, will post link to pics later. Hope everyone ok can't wait to meet up and av a catch up.

Weather forcast for next week provisionally npt looking very good but hopefully will change.week after i wilp be pulling a few all nighters when the moon has gone.need to find a good southern horizon area with no LP.sutton.field isnt great.up above kirbymoorside is better but not perfect so may check some southern peak areas out

what about holme moss transmitting station? thats high up and has good all round views - with not too much to the south of it in terms of LP. not far from winscarr res and was thinking we could possibly try that in the future if we could get access to it. even if you cant, there are quite a few very large laybys and turning points nearby.

Holme moss has quite a few big light's around it as far as I can remember?

Would it be better further over the north York moors? The hole of horcum (next to horcum wood A169) has a good southern horizon and the road isn't busy on a night time.Maybe the dales might have a good spot somewhere?

Im not sure.galloway is dark every horizon but you dont get flat horizons and its way north so you are a few degrees north so south would be better.needs to be no big cities for about 30miles to be best.south coast will work out but want somewhere a bit closer if possible.

Yeah it is but will be good scouting out places for later in the year, looking forward to the summer turn and darker night's again.Also going to start looking for comet ison too as it'll be viewable end of next month at a push?

Fingers crossed for some clear calm nights next week for a meet.

I've not thought about the dalby forest one Kieran, but I'm off to the peak star party in oct and keep meaning to book the galloway one in November but keep forgetting!

If the weather is kind both should be long dark night's with fantastic views and a good few fellow astronomers to chat to, oh and maybe share a beer or two ;-)

Dalby is good though I was there last year with my girls at go ape and should be as dark if not darker than sutton bank?

Yeah it's ment to be darker than Sutton Bank and also falls in with the Perseids meteor shower too. If you booking in on the other two let me know when you do and I will join you Damian. Also what's people's plans for tonight and Sunday night there a great forecast planned but then there's the full moon out so don't know what to do been invited to a BBQ party tonight but was thinking of putting it of due to good forecast but not sure if its a good idea with it being full moon.

no, me and maptser went out wednesday and we could only just make out m13 - and thats bright - everything else was just waashed out greyness. the moon really is like trying to make out dso's under a search light with some added street lights.

unless you fancy starting on the lunar 100, wouldnt bother.

Here's my Saturn image from Wed's night.http://www.flickr.com/photos/astronomer69/8804283574/

and another.http://www.flickr.com/photos/astronomer69/8793759239/

Good shots Kieran, good colour too.

Here's my Saturn image from Wed's night.http://www.flickr.com/photos/astronomer69/8804283574/

and another.http://www.flickr.com/photos/astronomer69/8793759239/

They are nice images. How are you processing them?

I'm gutted I missed the opposition of Saturn this year. I've had a problem with my back which has made me a little nervous of lugging my scope out into the garden. I got some nice images of Saturn last year (one in my flickr page in my Sig) with my SW 200P reflector and my DFK so I was looking forward to having a bash with my CPC800. I'm looking forward to Jupiter coming round this year which should be even better placed than last year apparently.

It wasn't good with the moon being up Wednesday night Kieran as Nick says.

The moon lit the car park up at winscarr that much was like having the car headlights on.The wind was the biggest problem though.

I'll probably get out later if it stops like this just to do some planetary viewing as it looks good for that.

Archived