Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

Yeah was thinking the same about it being a long time to be messing around doing the drift align. I've never tried doing polar alignment with polar scope Damian is it a pretty accurate alignment is it worth me buying a polar scope coz just been doing mine through the all star align in the handset and using a 6mm eyepiece to centre the star but not sure how accurate it's been getting only judged how good it's been by the amount of exp time I've been getting without startrails.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm only going on what I've read and the closer you get it the better it is for imaging,should be accurate enough to allow the guide scope to get those long subs?

Drift aligning out in the field every time is gonna be no fun and as Sammy said better suited to a pier mounted obsy setup.Maybe nephalems software will make it easy and once done a few time's will probably get easier too? Still relying on The alt bolts to get it right though been thinking about an engineering alternative on The Heq5?

Also it doesn't help with the long focal length I have it just means I've gotta make sure that my polar align and balance are perfect but with resetting up my mount everytime I'm out means I'm gonna be spending most of the night doing that. :(

put a piece of masking tape on the dovetail mount and also on your counterweight bar when you are all balanced up. Then when you come to set up again, you just put the dovetail onto the mount up to the tape and slide the weights up to the correct point on the bar and bingo, it should be exactly right.

personally, doing this everytime you set up - including v.accurate polar align, messing with laptops/cables/guide cameras/aligning guide scope to main ota (you did check this didnt you?) - sounds like a waste of 2 hours observing time.

maybe if you had a perm obsy and you only had to do a cursory check each evening......... but sounds like a ball ache every time we go to winscar.

Nick (cant wait till he has £400 and can get his 10" dob) C

Nick, there was a 12" meade light bridge (never used) the other day for £550 on flea bay.

Gotta say I was tempted! But I do like to make things and been looking at the sumarian optics scopes with envious engineering/woodworking eye's.

Gonna be sticking to the viewing for now but do like the only photo I've got through my scope using soupy's camera one evening at winscarr.

Good idea with the tape Nick, I was thinking a permanent marker to mark some positions, either way it will save time setting up. The guide scope has been aligned with the main scope but I suppose there is a chance it will go slightly off in transit so will have to remember to check this every time as well. It is a pain but when you get a good pic to remember the night with I think some of the flaff is worth it. I am hoping to improve on the pics we got through your scope Damian and with the SSAG and some patience I am sure I will :smiley:

im waiting but they are taking ages ;) the big star charts are more for galaxy hunting and the herschels.did you have a look at it?all the messier/herschel/caldwells have a star at the side of them which makes it easier to get through

I only had a quick check to make sure all the pages were there crash and they were of good quality.

Think it will lose a few stars on the binding edge but the charts overlap so they won't be missing.

Noticed the magnified views at the back look good.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that some good shots come out soupy, I can hear crash laughing now at the new prayer mats everyone will have for Polaris hunting!

A prayer to the god Polaris!

Tonight I pray the stars are bright,

a Messier object to catch I might,

kneeling down in front of scope

to get Polaris we live in hope

A twiddle here a twiddle there

just follow the pointers from the Great Bear

its getting dark we'll soon be cooking

at Messiers and Caldwells we'll soon be looking

but first of all our main intent

is to get good polar alignment

Your right there soupy when you get good pics its addictive you just want more and it's all worth the setup.

Nick that drift alignment software I've just downloaded and it looks like just what I need gonna try it next clear night, watched at video on the astronomy shed website showing how it works and its been tested and says you get perfect alignment everytime and looks really easy also that idea with the tape is a great idea too gonna try that also, so with the research I did last night and put it all into practice all should be good fingers crossed this next guiding effort should work, will let you know how it goes ;-).

Met check has tonight as o.k. later on? sat night looking good too and also wed early hours wednesday night? probably inaccurate but some promising nights to look forward to

Met check has tonight as o.k. later on? sat night looking good too and also wed early hours wednesday night? probably inaccurate but some promising nights to look forward to

Hmm cant see this stuff shifting today, but you never know.

Getting a little excited just been to astronomy shop for an illuminated reticle eyepiece and walked away with a cracking deal got myself a nice 115mm triplet apo ex display at a very reduced price so my imaging days are looking good :) :) this is what am looking at also comes with field flattener and all accessories at same reduced price. http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16380

Archived