Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll get round to the imaging bit eventually Kieran and maybe get some advice off you guys when I finally do?

Dealing with motors/encoders/computers/software and poorly built/designed kit at work make's me look at the simpler side of the hobby more and more.

At present what interests me more is seeing through the eyepiece, and to that end combining my hobbies I want to build a nice scope which is going to be a sumerian based dob as they are elegant and simple.What a gorgeous bit of kit would even look good as an ornament in the lounge which is probably what my present scope is with these clouds!

I've been looking at it crash, nice birch ply and 14"

He's done a fantastic job on it and ground his own mirror too. I've all the wood working gear to do it, and an engineering workshop where I can get bit's machined if I need them.

Getting a little excited just been to astronomy shop for an illuminated reticle eyepiece and walked away with a cracking deal got myself a nice 115mm triplet apo ex display at a very reduced price so my imaging days are looking good :) :) this is what am looking at also comes with field flattener and all accessories at same reduced price. http://www.altairast...productid=16380

OMG :Envy: V nice

You could start your own telescope business Damian! :cool:

Are you still heading to Winscarr tonight. It may well clear later so I still am tempted as I am away this weekend so will miss any clear skies.

When i start it you'll have to have a look crash see what you think, done planty of woodworking projects over the years obviously the last one being my scope box. I'll have to post some pics?

I'm sure i've just seen some blue sky whilst i've been out?

Clouded over bigtime here.

Im pretty good on design and theory i just lack the technical knowledge with machinery.start off with a small project like making a dob structure to fit your current mirrors then you can buy some bigger ones and make the structure to fit or grind an 8" mirror to fit your 200pds.get a feel for it befpre comitting ;)

I'll put my gear in the car paul, and have a ride up as we didn't last time and it was a clear night, keep that optimism going blue sky, blue sky, blue sky, blue sky, black starry sky, black starry sky .

Just a few of my projects:-

post-28847-0-68151400-1369945010_thumb.j Oak Table

post-28847-0-62181500-1369945020_thumb.j Maple fire surround

post-28847-0-89910100-1369945038_thumb.j Douglas fir coffee table

post-28847-0-09334700-1369945057_thumb.j Pine storage cupboard door

post-28847-0-29404300-1369945133_thumb.j Maple/stainless TV stand

post-28847-0-45843300-1369945065_thumb.j Maple computer station

Think compared to furniture making a scope should be easy apart from the engineering bits and working out the focal point?

Getting a little excited just been to astronomy shop for an illuminated reticle eyepiece and walked away with a cracking deal got myself a nice 115mm triplet apo ex display at a very reduced price so my imaging days are looking good :) :) this is what am looking at also comes with field flattener and all accessories at same reduced price. http://www.altairast...productid=16380

Great scope, congrats! We can be twins...although I got the 80mm version.

Archived