Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi chaps. 10 December would work for me after about 8pm (daughter's Xmas show earlier). Pub? Or maybe meet at pub and go observing if it's clear? Can always just go into the pub if it's not clear, but maybe it's worth a shot? I don't mind driving a few people to wherever we think is best for observing....

Steve

Hi guys not been on for a while but i'd be interested in joining you all. I teach astronomy at Horbury school so might be able to get us access to the football fields at the bottom of California drive if we need, I'll check and see. I have also done a few observing nights up at Emley moor mast (I only live 1 mile from it), the street lights are a bit of a pain but it is not impossible. I set up on my own and have gotten a few funny looks from what I assume to be doggers! but i havent let them bother me lol. however i am looking around for some dark sites and there are a few towards the 3 acres that look promising.

Yes I'm still on for the 10th.

No I never purchased a power tank. I just use a mains to 12v power supply ( I think its 4 Amp). I ordered it off the internet - poweradapters.co.uk. You need to get the one with the correct plug. Its not advised to use these adapters outside - especially when its damp - but I just put the tramsformer in a bucket to keep it off the ground and plug it into the mains via an extension cable with an RCD.

Did you get a Synscan mount or did you do an upgrade? EQ5?

Hi Dean. Yes it would be great if you could come along. It would be a first observing session for us. If cloudy it'll be the pub. We are all noobs really so don't worry about that.

But bring your scope on the 10th.... not the 12th.....

Sam

I have asked to see if fields at Parker Road are available watch this space, as soon as i know I will report back.

Someone also asked about powertank earlier, get yourself down to Maplins they have some excellent ones. got one there myself for about £40. does an excellent job on HEQ5Pro.

The lasting memory of Parker Road I have is of playing bulldog in 4 inches of snow, all the while been watched closely by a herd of cows.

Hopefully the 10th won't be the same!

It turns out that it is my brother in law's birthday on the 10th so I may be late, but if we are observing, no worries!

Archived