Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol id need a big old step, like i say i should be able to come up with some way of sorting it, it just really wound me up last night spending an hour trying to balance it and got no where. Nick I,ve mounted it to a losmandy style plate like my small Apo as the EQ head on the CGEM DX mounts are a lot larger than the average mounts.

Anyways ive just finished processing my Soul Nebula image i took at Sutton Bank other week with Damian, was a hard one to process as had a lot of Gradient in the image and was difficult to remove without losing all the emission Nebule deffo need lots of data on this one as the emission gas is very faint on the Soul Nebula these were 13x10min subs total 2hrs 10min data.

Soul Nebula 30.08.13

Excellent pic Kieran very faint nebulosity so well done to pick it up. Don't make any drastic decisions on the scope or mount as yet!

Steve i'll have to check if we can use the academy as postal address for the society i don't mind receiving the mail there but not sure what the head might think. If not we could use one of our home addresses I don't see a problem with that.

Thanks Paul, is a very difficult object to image and process. What's everyone think of the new Comet Lovejoy which will be around same time and area of Ison come November, in fact both are viewable now at dawn very faint but manageable in a large scope, I may do a bit of comet hunting next time I'm up Sutton bank.

Evening all. So first gear all the way home on the push bike and just made it home :-) Thanks for the hospitality on Monday, definitely looking forward to getting more involved.

So as I spent the first couple of months swinging the scope wildly around the sky hoping I'd hit something, I decided after Monday to do things my the book to get me used to things. Last night managed to polar align for the first time and then the clouds came over and didn't get chance to test it out.

I've got a couple of burning questions and any advice appreciated.

1. Does RA and DEC of objects change depending on your lat and long?

2. If so what's the best way of getting lists of RA and Dec figures for objects for our location?

3. Best reading for a n00b?

And finally

4. Looking at buying my first car soon. What's the biggest scope I can fit in a megane scenic :-)

Space witch,

1,The RA and DEC don't change kind of like the lat and long of things on the earth dont as it's mapped out in the same grid albeit a spherical one.

2,Best place to get them is from a star chart.

3,Best reading for me if you want it to enable you to use your scope or bins is turn left at Orion

4,Megane scenic is a pretty big car I'd say sky is the limit.

Damian

1. Does RA and DEC of objects change depending on your lat and long?

2. If so what's the best way of getting lists of RA and Dec figures for objects for our location?

I'm not sure what scope/mount you've got but if you're asking the above with the intention using the setting circles on the mount - then don't bother - they're s**t.

Just been over to see Lee at Green Witch and told him are situation with the society and the competion with the logo for the society and he was happy to donate a pair of binoculars so that part has been taken care of also he's mentioned if any of you guys call in a mention he will give you a discount, also he's been showing me his obsy that he's currently building which looks great and when finished gave me an invite to go round for some imaging and a few beers.

Great work Kieran.

spaceswitch as already said the RA and Dec don't change that is the position of the stars in the sky or better known as the celestial sphere what does change is the rotation of the earth as well as its orbit around the sun.

0 RA was originally decided as being a point on the day when the sun moves from the Southern Hemisphere to the northern hemisphere (March 21st) so the sun was at 0 RA and 0 Dec and all other celestial objects were given a designation according to their position at this time. RA is expressed as hours and minutes, where1 hour equals 15 degrees eastwards. Dec is just a measure above and below the celestial equator measured in degrees up to 90 north or to minus 90 south. Simples :tongue: here endeth today's lesson.

as for the rest of the questions I have no idea :cool:

Just been over to see Lee at Green Witch and told him are situation with the society and the competion with the logo for the society and he was happy to donate a pair of binoculars so that part has been taken care of also he's mentioned if any of you guys call in a mention he will give you a discount, also he's been showing me his obsy that he's currently building which looks great and when finished gave me an invite to go round for some imaging and a few beers.

Marvellous!!

Archived