New to astrophotography, help !

andyhulme1966

Hello I joined last night,

and I’m really interested in the planet and deep sky photography.

I’ve have little too nil experience with regards to photography of this nature, but I’ve been a keen amateur photographer for over 30 years, So I will be needing a little help from every one.

At the moment I have a Skywatcher Evostar 120 with a dual speed Crayford focuser fitted and the finderscope fitted by me to the scope body, ( drilled a couple of holes for the mount ), on a EQ5 mount with dual motor drive.

I have read the book Digital SLR Astrophotography, and it’s a little over my head to say the least !! The best I’ve do so far are a few shots of the moon !

I’m really green at astronomy and astrophotography, and would love a few pointers if any one has a little time to help with a new starter.

This looks like a great site and I’ve enjoyed every ones posts I’ve read.

Regards Newbie Andy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Andy... welcome to SGL...

I'll add a voice to the chorus on recomending Steve's book if you are thinking of getting into deep sky work.

It's really not that hard once you've got a decent go-to EQ mount and have got the hang of polar alignment.

Take things one step at a time... you'll find lots of people here who can give you pleanty of advice before you spend money on the wrong thing. One critical thing to remember though... the right equipment for planetary imaging is VERY different to the right equipment for deep sky imaging.

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum. Steve's book is a must for any journey into a world of imaging or as we term it, the "Dark Art"!:icon_scratch: There is a steep learning curve regarding imaging, not that any of it is intrinsically difficult, but at the start it's a lot to take in. One piece of advice, many people believe that they can somehow cut this corner or that, but the reality is this - if you want to produce good images, get the kit that those imagers have because it will save you a lot of hard work. Its not that there aren't alternatives out there as I'm sure there are, but you end up very quickly chasing your tail and even if you can produce a good image, the effort involved will quickly turn what was supposed to be enjoyable activity into something that proves onerous and a bit of a struggle.

Planets and the moon captured via a simple webcam is fairly straight forward and rewarding. It is the imaging of galaxies and nebula known as deep sky objects (DSO's) where all the 'fun' starts. Therefore the book mentioned by many above is a definite must have.

Clear skies

James

Archived