jupiters spot ?

Certainly seen it with a variety of kit, smallest being a 66mm refractor but should be visible easily in a 6" newt. Check out stellarium or other apps which tell you when it is visible and give it a go.

Note that it is very pale at the moment, there are other features called barges which are smaller, darker and probably more obvious. They are in the northern belt whereas the GRS is by the southern belt.

Stu

The smallest scope I've seen it with is an 80mm refractor but that was a few years back when the spot was better defined than it is just now. This time around I've spotted it a couple of times with a 102mm refractor and often with a 120mm refractor. The spot is not always on "our" side of the planet of course. I find 150x - 180x the most effective magnification for resolving details on Jupiter.

I would only repeat what bigmak wrote,the GRS is actually quite pale. Find out exactly when it is visible and be patient it,s a big very feint spot now.

Good seeing the right time and patience. Once you have seen it it gets easier

Took me about three months until finally I got it !

Steve

As others have said, check when it's visible. Jupiter rotates at a phenomenal rate (less than 10 hours), so the features move rapidly across the disc and the GRS will only be visible at certain times.

ye false advertising indeed ha. didnt the spot used to be bright red though at one time? i think i need to get a new eyepiece before i see it anyway, ive still only got the standard 10mm which is naf and the 25mm which is ok but not enough mag

I find 150x - 180x the most effective magnification for resolving details on Jupiter.

That's interesting John, I just got a TMB 7mm for my Evostar 120, and I think that gives me 143x. Do you think that a 6mm @167x would make enough difference in terms of detail to make it worth another purchase :) I find 5mm is a bit much on my scope, blink and it's gone :icon_eek:

I have seen GRS multiple times with my 4.5" reflector. On nights of good seeing, it is almost like somebody has bitten off a bit of the equatorial belt, very clear and distinct, pink-ish in colour. Blue filter helps, but not as significantly as you would think. With a bit of patience, I reckon you will be able to stop it even with small aperture refractors.:)

I saw it for the first time last Friday night through my scope I did a little bit of enhancing with registax & came up with a lovely image........My avatar is of that very image I'm well chuffed.

Archived