Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Might get a session tonight?!?!

freelander86

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope all you people who are looking forward to a good night get some enjoyment at last.

Unfortunately I have a terrible cold and have spent the day in and out of bed. I mentioned earlier to SWMBO that it was looking possible and was told in no uncertain terms that I would be staying for the night.

Just got in from my second session of the night, made to come in by the parents :icon_eek: Managed to see Venus and Mars for the first time tonight as well as seeing my old friend Jupiter.

Also managed to tick off my first two proper Messier objects the Orion Nebula (M42) and the Pleiades (M45)

Not a bad start for my first proper session even with a few clouds and light pollution :)

Been out since about 8:20 and just come in for a cuppa. I don't think I have any toes left!

Saw Jupiter and four moons, it was beautiful! Had some trouble with aligning the GOTO, but got there in the end and had a peek at the Orion nebula. Looks like a smudge on the eyepiece lol. So amazing to finally see it in the flesh so to speak.

Am going to nip out and take a look at the moon before packing up. Have to wait for it to come out from behind our evergreen tree first....

Clear here in Newark but -5!

Viewing conditions pretty poor though...

Sky seems very bright (don't know if all the lying snow is reflecting the streetlights up and magnifying the usual skyglow) and theres quite a bit of misty haze...

With Moon coming up between 9 and 10 didn't seem worth driving to a dark spot so had an hour in the garden...

Wasn't worth trying for any DSO's so enjoyed Jupiter a few nice easy doubles and the messier clusters in Gemini and Auriga...

Had 2 and a half hours tonight freezing but worth every minute Jupiter looked pretty amazing Venus came up trumps before the cloud covered her watched Orion and Taurus rise through my 60mm refractor checked out Rigel and Betelgeuse with 25mm plossi on 76mm reflector that's when I froze to the mount and called it a day

Well after three and a half hours that's enough for one evening for me. Finished off with a look at the moon and what a lovely sight it was. The husband was suitably impressed too, he finds stars a bit boring but was thrilled to see the lunar craters.

It's been a great evening for viewing, if a shame I had to freeze myself to the bone to enjoy it.

Archived