Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Polar contortionist

I find that in order to polar align my EQ5 mount I have to perform some awkward contortions. I could extend the legs but it would make observing tricky at full height.

It might be a daft question, but I was wondering if it was possible to get an optical extension or attach a webcam to the polarscope, or am I just going to have to take up yoga?

My kit has to be portable (my yard is useless for stargazing).

I know, the feeling :icon_salut:.

Not done it myself but I know a number of people on here attached webcams to the polar scope as you suggest to make life easier. I guess you probably need to make an adaptor to hold it in place

Stu

You can speed the process up by shining a laser through the polarscope. Get close like that in relative comfort. The scope will direct the beam quite accurately.

Olly

This is what i do, only have now since made an adapter so my laser fits onto the top of the polar scope.

So i just pop the laser in turn it on and align the green beam to polaris, this work for me as i just do visual work (for now) but i must say since i have been using this method the tracking has been very good, i had Jupiter in the EP for about 40mins one night with no adjustments.

Just look out for aircraft when using it and use some common sense, but the whole process only takes a few seconds

If you extend the legs on the tripod, do you then find you can not look through the EP because it is pointin up when you start observing, as yo mention it makes it tricky at full height.

The trick is to turn the OTA in its rings until the Focuser is pointing down towards the weights when you first set the scope up. Then when you start observing the Focoser will be in a more conveinent position. It will then be possible to have the tripod set higher.

If you extend the legs on the tripod, do you then find you can not look through the EP because it is pointin up when you start observing, as yo mention it makes it tricky at full height.

The trick is to turn the OTA in its rings until the Focuser is pointing down towards the weights when you first set the scope up. Then when you start observing the Focoser will be in a more conveinent position. It will then be possible to have the tripod set higher.

???? what ??

gotmuu askeds about polar scope position ........

Thanks for all the useful stuff. I particularly like the idea of the webcam mod. Pity these Philips cameras are getting to be like hen's teeth! I want to get into the habit of precise polar alignment, as I'm hoping to do some imaging when I'm happy with my ability to set up the equipment properly.

Archived