NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Word up y'all!

dabiscuit

Hello there. Just saying as hi as it seems the polite thing to do as everyone else seems nice here!

I'm 29 and despite having a love for the stars and the night sky all my life, I only just got a telescope the Christmas! Purchased by my rather lovely and thoughtful girlfriend I got a Skywatcher Explorer 130MM AZ GoTo with Synscan (Reflector) and I am very happy with it.

I live in a small village called Slip End, despite that it's about 2 miles south of a light polluting hell called Luton and the M1 is less than half a mile to the east. However I still got the scope out last night and had a good view of Orion and it's nubula! Was dead chuffed. Fortunately I have good skies to the south west, however they aren't great.

Now that I am finding my way around the sky I am up for a bit of astro-imaging. Judging by how good the Orion Nebula was I reckon I could get some good shots. Especially in darker areas.

Are webcams (Microsofts HD cam) anygood for bright-ish (Mag 5 and below) or are they soley reserved for planets and lunar imaging?

Hello again and thank you for any tips!

Hi and welcome from south west France. Try putting your question(s) in the beginners' help section or in one of the imaging sections. There are folks here who know more about imaging than some professionals and they talk a funny language too.

hi and welcome the cam you mention clive (telesto) as one be sure to remove the mic and led light on it the light is soooooooooo bright and from what i seen of is it was ok for the moon and planets any thing else use less

but will let you get the moon and planets not sure how big they will be you may need a barlow

hi and welcome to sgl. I have the same webcam it is ok on the moon and planets but not on DSOs but as my mate todd says you have to get rid if the small led or the whole image has a blue hue to it , i now use my phillips webcam that i got off todd and it is a better webcam but they are getting harder to get hold of

Archived