Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the 250PX, and I wouldn't want to carry it more than 10 m or so. The 200P may be easier, but my guess would be that it would be kinda awkward to carry that far.

Perhaps you could get a trolley and wheel it to its final destination?

Its not the weight that's the problem...its the size, awkward shape and the fact that its not something you want to bash/drop...

Its not something you'd want to carry further than a hundred yards or so and shaped that you really need both hands!

Someone very nonchalant could sling it on their shoulders "lumberjack" style i guess...but I wouldn't so it with mine...

Its perfectly portable for getting up and down stairs, in and out the car...end of the garden etc...but not one for a route march!

Its not the weight that's the problem...its the size, awkward shape and the fact that its not something you want to bash/drop...

Its not something you'd want to carry further than a hundred yards or so and shaped that you really need both hands!

Someone very nonchalant could sling it on their shoulders "lumberjack" style i guess...but I wouldn't so it with mine...

Its perfectly portable for getting up and down stairs, in and out the car...end of the garden etc...but not one for a route march!

This sums it up really, it's just an awkward shape, weight wise it isn't too bad.

I saw a thread a while back where a guy had desigend a back strap for his, allowing him to carry the base... But tbh, i'd be tempted to just say bleh and get a smaller scope.

Just to give you an idea of my fitness level, I can quite happily race my mountain bike for 12hours, and I've fairly recently run a full marathon through the African bush.

BUT - I wouldn't want to carry my dob much further than I do at the moment - about 15m.

All the reasons are above, but I'd struggle to carry the OTA at the same time as the mount (which is heavy!) plus EPs, torches, books, etc in a backpack.

it is fairly heavy but even more awkward is the size I carry a nexstar 5 on my back all told it weighs about 22 kilos it's doable because it fits in a backpack the dob is a similar weight but it's so big and both it's parts are big. It may be transportable but there is no way you could call it portable.

definitely not a "portable" scope :)

the scope itself isn't actually that heavy, but it's massive...i've seen backpack style carriers for scopes, but i think even with a custom made carrier/backpack type thing, you'd have to be about 8 feet tall to pull it off....then there's the base, which is pretty hefty...

i carry mine out to the garden, built up, and that's hard enough...and it's literally just outside through the patio door :)

Archived