Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I think I got it right again Dad.........

Showing my age with the [removed word] Emery quote but quite happy I put in a last minute Ebay bid for what is described as a two year old OOUK 6" f5 newtonian OTA with dual speed focuser and 1/10PV optics. Bit of minor damage to tube but I say 'christened'.

I'd have paid more for just a focuser new so am quite happy and don't really have to sell anything either as the end price was a lot lower than I feared given recent Ebay madness.

Here's hoping it will be as good as described.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ha ha. I will probably sell the older f6 but might keep it in the circumstances to make a travel scope in a box - but I do have a three scope rule so may offload after all. I can always just move the optics to/from the travel unit. the f6 will be a nice cheapie for someone.

Nice one Shane - I saw that scope and thought it might be a good guy if the price stayed low :(

There are still some great bargains on Orion Optics scopes to be had now and then if you keep your eyes open. Tough if you have shelled out for a new one though - they do seem to depreciate rather a lot :)

PS: You are surely too young to remember [removed word] Emery :D

they do depreciate awfully from new. as much as I really like them (OOUK) I'd never buy new. I think the minor cosmetic damage to the tube helped me. it does not bother me but I could even buy a new tube and still be quids in.

this is it for me with scopes now.........honest.

cheers guys. well, the scope arrived today - thankfully in one piece. the focuser was initially truly awful but having taken it off the scope and having a look how it worked, I saw that the teflon spacer was not evenly adjusted. I adjusted this and it's now actually quite nice. solid with no backlash/movement at all. hopefully this will stay as it is now but I at least understand the way it works.

the optics seem pretty perfect with just a few small water stains here and there - no biggie and may wash off or just leave.

the seller admitted to a 'boo-boo' re the figure as it's 'only' 1/8PV (strehl of 0.987) so still really excellent. the damage mentioned is not too bad at all and it's generally in really good nick.

I'll have a go with it on my GIRO mount shortly.

Do you have to counter weight the giro with a larger newt on ? I was toying with the idea of a giro & 6" new for a grab and go but if CW are required I'm not going to be any better off than using my EQ in AZ configuration.

I use a C/W with my 10" newt on my Giro-type alt-az. It keeps the centre of balance central and smoothes the azimuth motion. I don't need it with my other scopes though. A 6" F/5 newt is lighter than an ED120 I think. The tension kobs on this style of mount allow you a fair amount of control over the axis - enough to compensate for a heavier eyepiece for example.

I agree with John, Nick. you can get the balance pretty much spot on and then lightly use the tension knob to ensure it stays that way even with quite a difference in eyepiece weight. i don't need a CW with either my 6" f6 (now sold) or my 6" f5 both with Telrad, dual speed crayford and 9x50 finder). The 6" f5 is really good and I can literally grab the whole thing with one hand, carry and move it about the garden anywhere (or to put it another way - go). I actually find with 6" scopes that the CW makes the alt axis too smooth as I regreased it a while back.

Hello :)

I personally don't use a CW for the 80ED but do with the SP102M

It's partly due to keeping the altitude axis smooth but also peace of mind.

Six months ago I knocked into the scope setup and it came crashing to the ground with a sickly bump :icon_salut:

The Moonlite focuser took the brunt if the fall onto a concrete floor costing me £150 of repairs to the focuser so not allowing that to happen again!

Now I use a 3.2 kg EQ3 counterweight on the altitude axis.

Thanks for the info Shane (& John) regarding newtonians on a Giro mount ;)

I resist the urge of a Newtonian but aperture fever makes me want something bigger and a >150mm aperture in a refractor is going to cost a pretty penny!

I'd strongly recommend waiting for a good used and well figured OOUK 6-8". I got some very susprising views of Jupiter last night, especially with the Baader Neodymium filter and a 12.5mm ortho. This was only 60x and the detail was really great, the sky very black. I'm looking forward to using this over the next few weeks. I'll upload some pics over the weekend. it's a great combo.

Archived