Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I think I got it right again Dad.........

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt you would see the benefit unless you were planetary imaging with it :)

Big difference between "diffraction limited" 1/4pv optics and 1/8pv optics. Less so when you go to 1/10pv I would have thought.

Well in my limited experience and knowledge on the subject :icon_salut:

• 2 weeks later...

managed to finally get some pics together. here's the 6" f5 on a GIRO 2 and heavy duty pedestal and my 6" f11.

the f11 is as you can see somewhat longer in the tube!

You can also see the mods done to the f5 (actually both scopes but the f11 a long while ago).

- flocked the full tube and blacked secondary edge and bolts/nuts etc

- adjusted the height of the primary in the cell - it was a little tight on the clips.

- blacked the primary clips and refelted the insides

- refelted the tube rings - why OO seem to get this so wrong is beyond me - on all my scopes they screws use have poked through the felt and caused past owners to scratch off the paint when turning on an EQ mount.

- added a dob knob

- added tool free adjusters to the primary cell (these were threaded plastic balls £4 for 3).

- the focuser is pleasantly surprising and works quite well now after a few adjustment sessions.

I also made a couple pf caps from garden matting with elastic sown in (like a shower cap really) for both of these scopes. allows trapped air out and residual moisture to dry off completely.

the main advantages of the f5 are that it gives me a field of 2.84 degrees compared with 1.3 degrees for the f11 (using the 26mm Nagler) plus it's much more grab and go needing no set up time and minimal cooling.

post-17776-13387773344_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877733445_thumb.jpg

post-17776-13387773345_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877733454_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877733459_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877733464_thumb.jpg

That's some seriously cool kit!

Really like the pillar especially, which one is it? :)

cheers Mark

the pillar is the one I got with the 6" f6. I sold the scope and mount etc but thought I'd keep this. it seems to be very like the Vixen ones but I think was custom made by OO in the 90s.

the tube has an ID of 100mm so it's pretty substantial, albeit light too as it's all ali. the Giro weighs more than the pillar/feet.

Cheers for the info Shane. :)

It also looks very similar to the Tal pier.

I am on the look out for a decent pier to install in the garden so all I have to do is go out and attach the Giro III and OTA.

It should be a lot more stable than the aluminium photo tripod I use currently.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking very nice Shane but I can't help but think the convenience of the 6" F/5 will mean the monster dob will not see as much of the night sky. I sold my 250PX because I was spending more time looking through a small 60mm Frak. I wouldn't have minded but the frak was surplus. It was the SLT mount I was after for my MAK at the time. I think this is the reason I am looking for a similar set up myself now. Big enough to give respectable views but not so much that it's an ordeal setting up. Not so much grab and go but not so much I can't get the enthusiasm to set up if you know what I mean. Looks like you nailed it with the new scope and mount.

hi mate

ironically, it's the 6" f11 that's getting least use currently as I find the slightly dodgy, might get cloudy nights are when I use the 6" f5 and the looking good for a decent night of observing nights will always mean I get the big guns out.

In truth this was always going to be my 'travel scope' too but I am working on a box/truss design now. I hope to create it with the max dimensions for hand luggage (I think they are 56cm x 45cm x 25cm?) so should be OK for flying and for camping too.

I hope to create it with the max dimensions for hand luggage (I think they are 56cm x 45cm x 25cm?) so should be OK for flying and for camping too.

Sounds like a plan to me but how will it work? Am I correct in thinking even as a truss dob the focal length remains the same at 650mm so this would make it impractical to use with out a stand of some sort ???

yep, I thought of that (the focal length is 750mm) too. I think I'll need to make a short stool for it and design the whole thing to sit a little higher than usual. It will be a challenge for sure but I think worth it in the end. given it's such a small mirror though I am hopeful I may even be able to use a small table when camping but this may not be stable enough. I suspect I may be observing from a kneeling position......

When I purchased the heritage 130P I looked into getting this Lightweight Aluminium Folding Camping Table - Round Folding Tables Folding Furniture Camping Furniture Campin... it was the sturdiest of the foldaway tables I could find and would have put the scope high enough (for me) to use with me sat on Tripod Stool Compact Stools Folding Furniture Camping Furniture Campin.... You are a tall fella so it may not be practical for you, but hope it gives you some ideas of options available :p

Archived