Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from St Helens

Redstar

Hello! My name is Si and despite having a keen interest in astronomy for many years have only recently got into it more seriously. I am also a keen photographer and hope to fuse the two in the near future. I have a pair of Celestron Skymaster 25x70's and have recently purchased a Celestron 130EQm (which I am still trying to get to grips with!!) :icon_salut:

Hello Dobby (great name btw,) Zul and MikeP

Been out this morning gazing at Saturn. I could make out the basic outline but I couldn't really make out the rings. Should I be able to with a Celestron 130eq? Is it perhaps the quality of the supplied eye pieces? (10mm & 20mm erecting eyepiece)

You should be able to make out the rings but so much depends on the seeing ie how clear or turbulent the atmosphere is. If that wasn't too bad when you were observing, I'd next suspect the collimation of your scope.

The supplied eyepieces aren't the best quality but they should still be up to the job.

Mike

PS Collimation should keep you amused for a while :icon_salut::)

You should be able to make out the rings but so much depends on the seeing ie how clear or turbulent the atmosphere is. If that wasn't too bad when you were observing, I'd next suspect the collimation of your scope.

The supplied eyepieces aren't the best quality but they should still be up to the job.

Mike

PS Collimation should keep you amused for a while :icon_salut::)

I'm by no means an expert but the atmosphere seemed to be very clear. It was very crisp and cloudless in St Helens at 6.30 this morning! I've heard about this collimation m'larky! Doesn't sound nice.

Hi Si and welcome to the forum. There will always be plenty to get to grips with so soak up the experience.:icon_salut: Imaging the cosmos certainly provides a steep learning curve which is not difficult itself but certainly at times frustrating. Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count"(FLO £19.95) will provide you with an excellent start telling you what you need and why you need it to achieve your imaging goal. It is very reasonably priced but will in fact save you a lot more by helping you to formulate the correct budget from the start.

Clear skies

James

Archived