Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dark Field Sites in S Wales?

I have joined the S Wales group on the forum and have posted this issue but its sort of hidden in another thread so I've given it its own space here because I'm sure it applies country wide (for most of us anyway)

If anyone saw star gazing live last week what amazed me was the ariel shot of Britain showing how illuminated it is after dark. Virtually the whole of S Wales was glowing - this doesn't suprize me as driving accross the Brecon Beacons which can be pretty remote in places you can still see the orange tinge in the night so I wondered just how remote in Wales you actually have to be to get truly dark skies and heres the big question - is it actually worth driving to? - are truly dark skies going to give you views that you can't see anywhere else.

I'd like to experience it but just wondered would it actually be worth the effort - appreciate your thoughts

Steve

Once you get north of the Brecon the Beacons give you some protection of the LP from the valleys and Cardiff. North of Brecon there are some real good dark areas. My inlaws live in Llanidloes and sister in-law in Miskin so I drive the A470 south and back quite often, there are small towns and villages but they are few and far between and most of the countryside in good and dark. Depending on where you live you could get to an excellent location in about an hour.

Thanks Chris - I think I'll look into that - Brecon itself is only about half an hour away and I treavel to Cardigan regularly so somehwere just North of that line is the holy grail - is a truly dark site though worth that travelling?

I still need to do some local searching, as I live near Brecon. You definitely still get some skyglow from Merthyr and Valleys from my garden but I can see Andomeda and double cluster naked eye with some definite Milky Way too. I want to travel just 5 miles away to get rid of local LP and then might propose a meet there for the S Wales crew. They are proposing to meet at the mountain centre in feb but its still less than 20 miles from Merthyr. I thik another few miles north of Brecon will give you a great view

Just do it!

I drive through the Brecons once a week. You have to get off the A roads for about 10 minutes when driving to get to anywhere decent. But have you tried the National Parks Visitor centre? I have met up with some local astronomers there a few times by accident and the images they have got are incredible. Andromeda and Orion over the centre itself are easily available in very good detail. Maybe we could meet up with you one night.

Well I haven't been outside my own garden yet so just looking for my first night away from the S Wales Valleys star hunting - I had my doubts about the visitor centre in Brecon purely because I drive over the Beacons quite regularly and can always see the orange glow but if your telling me its better than I imagine I may well try it and I'd be glad to catch up if your heading that way for a star party at any time- bearing in mind I'm a complete newb to this and don't have a 20" Goto of any decription lol

If you're travelling to Cardigan regularly then there are loads of great sites around there. The best view I've had of the Milky Way was in North Pembrokeshire just west of Newport - it shone so much it just drew your eye as you got out of the car. Awesome!

Helen

Hi Stevetynant,

The carpark at poppit is pretty good also the carark at newport beach (and anywhere around moylgrove), even better as after 4pm you will not be faced with a parky asking for four quid!!. if you go towards llys y fran, its pretty dark there and on the 4329 through the preselis just gives enough cover from milford. If you can manage it the car park at Marloes is brill!

Hwyl

• 2 weeks later...

Our caravan is in Newquay so I'm thinking maybe Mwnt would be a good place - easy access from the carpark and pretty secluded - will check it out along with CwmTydu this spring - probably won't get down there until early March to be honest but Brecon is on my doorstep really so time to get out and do some exploring I think

Brecon Beacons are okay but suffer a bit from being too near the conurbations of South Wales- which happen to lie due south where you most often want to look. I suggest you head further North into Mid Wales as there are still some really good dark skies here. I'm based midway between Llanidloes and Machynlleth- there's nothing (not even a village) due South of here for 50 miles- just miles of uninhabited upland.

South Wales vs Mid Wales- In the image below I live about where the 'd' is in "Naked".

southwaleslightpollution.jpg

I'm based midway between Llanidloes and Machynlleth- there's nothing (not even a village) due South of here for 50 miles- just miles of uninhabited upland.

South Wales vs Mid Wales- In the image below I live about where the 'd' is in "Naked".

You're not that far away from me (I live just outside Machynlleth) and can vouch for the dark skies here.

Archived