Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What inspires you to gaze?

Captain Caveman

When you are outside at night, usually in the cold, gazing up at the skies with your eyes, binoculars, scope or fancy astrophotography set-up, why do you do it, what do you think about?

For some it may be that some things we see are just really pretty, or perhaps you sit staring at M31 thinking of the trillion starts and possible planets and still possible life

Do you contemplate the vastness of it or the great creation mystery, the meaning of life or is it just a relaxing pastime? Do you want to bag the full Messiers or just stun people with great photos?

Do you read more on cosmology and astrophysics and wonder about new star-formation when looking at a nebula, or see galaxies and contemplate black-holes and dark matter?

I'm just curious about the different angles that people come at it from, what started them and if their approach has changed as a result of their astronomy pursuit

I can remember times when I was at the eyepiece of my 12" Newtonian, with no particular schedule of observation set out.

These were usually spontaneous observations that resulted from a sudden clearing of the sky after rain.

Clarity of seeing was usually the result post rain, and low power eyepiece in the focuser to give as wide a view as possible.

My Obs. was a domed one, and quite roomy. The 28" wide opening with the slide slid right back, opened a wedge of sky right up to the zenith. I had no seat as such to perch my self, but I had a makeshift step ladder with a broad top, that I could comfortably lean on, and afforded an easy eye to eyepiece situation.

The scope drive at that time was a synchronous motor, geared down through a gearbox, to finally drive a worm and wheel on the polar shaft. A quiet regular ticking sound was all that broke the silence. These sort of nights usually stretched well into the early hours of the next morning.

My leisurely forays through star fields I enjoyed very much, and without doubt, the mind can be be filled with the vast out there, that prolonged gazing instills. Oddly enough, I could believe I was actually part of the cosmos itself, and what I was seeing was not in front of me, but all around. Not a frightening feeling, but certainly one I had to shake myself of. A kind of hypnotic state I guess would describe it.

I'm a lot older now, and that Obs is. long gone, as has the 12" Newt. I have roll off roofed Observatories now, and my ambition to get into imaging is taking a long time, as some of my Mod. friends keep gipping me about. I will get there eventually, but I make no excuse for hankering after those earlier years. i loved my astronomy lots those days, still do of course, but there was more magic then I reckon. Magic of youth perhaps.

I like to call astronomy more a way of life, than a hobby. I know it doesn't apply to everyone, but it will to some.

Anyone who tires of looking at the stars, must be tired of life itself.

Weather permitting of course :).

Ron.

An interesting question?

I bought my disabled husband a telescope for Christmas knowing he has always had a passion for things "up there". As he is paralysed down one side, I have had to learn a bit about setting it up and pointing it at various objects. Well it has become an obsession in just a few weeks. I am 65 this year and never bothered with the sky at all except to comment sometimes on the moon. My husband was an avid sailor and has crossed the atlantic a few times in his yacht. He used to sail by the stars. I am now absolutely stunned by what is out there and the wonderful pictures some of your members have taken. Yes I want to have some pictures now to show my sons and family. I also want to find these wonderful sights myself. We now fight over the telescope here and I think a second will eventually have to be purchased. One for viewing to satisfy my husband and one for myself who is fascinated by the DSO's and would love some pictures of my own. We have, of course, completely the wrong scope for either of us, but it was a good starter and we will still enjoy viewing the planets with it for a while and practising taking the best shots we can of the moon and planets. A truly fascinating and wonderful subject to persue. We look up Wiki to find out about what we can view and this also helps my poor old man to fulfil his days with fascination. I could never have believed what is up there, but the beautiful pictures show wonderful objects.

Thank you for your question.

Clear skies to you from Pat and Rudi.

When my life's problems get too absorbing, I stargaze and leave my worries behind as I "travel" to the stars in my imaginary spaceship...my telescope.

Besides, it's so much fun too.

3 Kids, a busy life style and the need to fit my hobbies into antisocial hours or not have any..

in truth, i'v spent decades night fishing looking into the sky on clear nights thinking one day i'm going to get a scope, about 12 months ago i did and today i know its another hobby for life, i may not use the kit every day but just like my fishing kit it will always be there when i fancy it..

Hopefully it will be more productive than night fishing, we live in hope,clear skies.

Um... I have a really bad anxiety/depressive streak and to get out under the stars and let my imagination go is really one of the few things that can calm me down and make me relax. I gaze into the eternity of space and that helps me sort through all of life's "little" problems. Its usually cold and I have an old desk chair that leans back and I sit out there with my binoculars and spin in slow circles and just take in the raw beauty of it all. I just think that if space really is infinite with infinite time then what ever my imagination can create then ... out there somewhere it can happen. Its relaxing and peaceful.

For me: a good night is of course beautiful in itself. But it's really about recognising insignificance/perspective, and one of the few things that allows me to switch off. I don't have a sense of is there life etc? But I find putting that that I know in perspective really healthy.

When my life's problems get too absorbing, I stargaze and leave my worries behind as I "travel" to the stars in my imaginary spaceship...my telescope.

Besides, it's so much fun too.

+1 :)

I've often wondered over the years what was "up there" and now I am begining a journey of discovery. I know we can look in books, on the TV or on the web and see images, but for me there is nothing quite like seeing it first hand with my own eyes. I find it very relaxing and puts into perspective any issues I may think I have. It is a very humbling experience, almost spiritual. I just drift away into my very own universe for me time stands still for that brief moment in time.

Same for me, I have fished for years under starry skies and gazed at the stars while night fishing. In nov 2010 I got my first telescope and I was hooked instead of the fish. I love sitting out under a star filled sky. Its so peaceful and thought provoking to contemplate whats above us. Discovering astrophotography has been even better I love it and only wish I had done this years ago.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Fishing and astronomy - there is some sort of link there !

My fishing is the daytime type. Astronomy is my nighttime escape.

Not that I've anything in particular to escape from but I find the huge scale of the Universe puts our existence on this little rock into perspective, which is on the whole a good thing :)

i usually think wow why does everybody not have a scope to se these wonders,because it might humble every one who sees them and it might make the world a better place when you see a galaxy it invokes mans biggest Qs are we alone one of those suns out there must be the same as are`s and some were just may be, reading about lets say the owl cluster all those red and orange supergiants it just is a lot to take in some nights

I find it incredibly relaxing and a great escape from every day life. Plus it's mind blowing when you think about what you're looking at through your telescope - the distance, the size, etc.

I find astronomy can make you feel very insignificant and small - but in a good way. It makes your every day worries feel silly and unimportant. :)

Apart from pretty much all of the above stated (relaxation, imagination, calm-down effect, general amazement, etc.), interest in astronomy helped me to appreciate the beauties of life way more than ever before. Now I realize how all my petty everyday problems are insignificant and negligible when compared with what's "out there" :)

Apart from pretty much all of the above stated (relaxation, imagination, calm-down effect, general amazement, etc.), interest in astronomy helped me to appreciate the beauties of life way more than ever before. Now I realize how all my petty everyday problems are insignificant and negligible when compared with what's "out there" :)

How right your are Assassincz! What this world is doing to itself today is amazing. Can you actually go far today without the fear and worry of what different countries on this planet are doing? What a small place this is and how lucky we are to be here!

Kind regards to all and peace please! Pat and Rudi

In 1996/7 I was living in Cyprus. I was gazing at the sky one evening.. (very warm and very clear) and was amazed by what i could see. I then watched the sky 'change' over a whole year and the more I saw, the more I wanted to see. I remember most seeing Hale-Bop in the twilight and wanted to see it up close.

My fascination with the sky developed and over the years I bought many books about stars, planets etc. I used to buy childrens books as they were easier to understand.

Now, years later, I have my scope and I am always amazed at how much I can see.

I am in total awe then I am out wrapped up with my hottie tucked in to keep me warm. Again, the more I have seen , the more I want to see.

My ambition is to go to the ISS... yeah I know, but well all need ambition.

Oh yeah, seeing the Aurora would have been nice... grrrrrrrr

Archived