Hello from Brize Norton

c3po

Hi all, and greetings to you from Brize Norton.

Following the BBC2 Stargazing Live programmes over the past few days have really got me wanting to get out and see what I'm missing.

I've not got a telescope, but used to be rather handy with my trusty Fujifilm S7000 'bridge' camera which I bought at the time when D-SLRs were prohibitively expensive (and for my budget they're not quite in my grasp yet!). Hopefully, i will get back into using it for this hobby, although what good it'll be I don't know.

well, there looks like loads to be looking at before i get outside with my tripod and camera (hopefully tonight - the sky is already clear and forecast is for a clear night also!)

Cheers,

Si (a.k.a C3PO)

Hi Si - i'm another newbie from Oxfordshire! I've just been reading the stargazing live guide to photographing the night sky - I'd love to hear how you get on! Going to try to photograph the Milky Way this weekend - we're lucky enough to be able to see it here. In terms of viewing, try looking through binoculars - you can see an amazing amount more!

Hi Si - i'm another newbie from Oxfordshire! I've just been reading the stargazing live guide to photographing the night sky - I'd love to hear how you get on! Going to try to photograph the Milky Way this weekend - we're lucky enough to be able to see it here. In terms of viewing, try looking through binoculars - you can see an amazing amount more!

Hi Siriusmeg, glad to see there's others from Oxon on here. I'm going out tonight, hopefully i'll see something, and will post pictures tomorrow if i can.

I'm not expecting much from my efforts just yet, and can only rustle up some 7/35 binoculars for my outing, hopefully these'll be sufficient.. as for the photography, well that's another story!

I've read a lot about using cameras on a tripod on 'full manual' mode with a 15-30s shutter time, but have no idea waht, realistically, i am likely to get. I've also heard of "stacking" and am wondering if it be beneficial.

A friend of mine in Nottingham pointed me towards the UK Light Pollution map Google Earth overlay, and it seems i can quite quickly get into some 'dark sky' areas, so i assume i'll be best to try there for best results.

Hi Si and welcome to the forum. Plenty of outreach events and star parties going on at the moment for you to go along and have a look through people's scopes. If imaging is going to be your objective within astronomy, may I suggest a book by Steve Richards, "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO 19.95). A very comprehensive book on what you need and why you need it. Modestly priced and will in fact save you more money should you have any designs in that direction.

Clear skies in the meantime and please go to these events - inspirational!

James

Hi and welcome from me. Im closer than you think, Burford !

wow, that is close!

I've think i've got everything ready (my Fuji S7000 - not great, but best i have at the moment, tripod and binos), my 6yr old is getting wrapped up warm and we're just about to head out...hope we see something now!

Hello and welcome

Yes there are some very good skies to the west of Burford, I live in Witney and often travel out to darker skies, here's a link to an image of Orion I took last Sunday about 4 miles west of Burford.

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-widefield-special-events-comets/171606-orion-ha-50mm-lens.html

Mel

hi Mel, thanks for the welcome!... I now know who I can shout out if I need local advice!

Archived