Hello From Dunstable (Bedfordshire)

Hooch

Hello Everyone

After being a massive fan on Brian Cox and watching 'stargazing live' on Monday I have decided to buy a scope. When I was young I always wanted to a scope but now I have the cash I want to see what is really out there.

I was thinking of paying around £300 for a scope but I am now thinking to buy something cheaper to see what you can really start to achieve and start learning what can be seen. I mean I can get a Celestron AstroMaster 114 for around £60 near me but I cant help looking at the Skywatcher Skyline 10 as I have always thought bigger is better!

I will read through all the info on the forum as I know there is a lot.

Anyway, if you could give any advice on what are the best scopes for around 100 - 200 it would be very much appreciated!

Colm

Hi and welcome to the forum. It still amazes me that many people are prepared to buy any optical equipment without knowing what they will see. May I suggest that you hold fire on any purchase and use the current BBC Stargazing Live event to go along to a local star party (list of events on their website) which will help provide you with an idea of what you are likely to see through different sizes and types of scopes. That way you will be able establish your own baseline of what all the specifications really mean to you and therefore obtain the best value for money. As someone who wants to get involved in astronomy, it is vital that you experienced some great views that many inexpensive scopes can reveal - but a scope costing £60 isn't going to do you I'm afraid.

Equipment wise, a dobsonian scope will offer the best value for money as it will be spent on mostly the mirror without squandering money on 'toys' that add nothing to the view. Apart from the BBC events, there are of course local astro societies and observing groups who regularly provide observing sessions for the public and this can also provide you with a great resource to research from. Hope that helps.

Clear skies and happy hunting!

James

Thanks James. I am aware i'm not going to see amazing things like you see on the tv. I just wanted to start with a affordable scope and then build up from there. The £65 scope from my first post is a £100 scope but the person selling wants it gone. Shame in right in the middle of London to pick up.

I was looking at Celestron Powerseeker 127EQ but I do like the idea of a skyliner. How do these two compare?

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

and

Celestron PowerSeeker 127EQ Telescope - Telescopes

I have been looking into Dobsonian scopes, I knew there were Reflectors and Refractors. Seems theres a lot to research!

Archived