Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing report 16/1/2012 - Planetaries R Us

Moonshane

Amazingly this was the second session for me in a few days! On the night of the first Stargazing Live 2012 too.

I put the scope out to cool (16" f4 dob) while I had something to eat and watched the programme and then went out from about 9.30-11.30pm. What was planned as a brief session for a few of the usuals, turned into a hunt for not only a few new Planetary Nebulae but also three new Messier objects!

The main focus of my observing was the constellation of Gemini but as always, the main delights of the sky attracted my attention time and again.

After the usual look at Jupiter I started the session armed with fine detailed maps of the appropriate area to enable me to locate the slightly obscure PN know as J900. This sits just below and between the feet of the twins and although I previously thought I had it, I became less sure as I did a little more reading. With the map in hand I star-hopped to the right place (it's amazing how a little intensive study of an area quickly famliarises you with what it looks like in the finder) and then traced where the PN should be. The 'double star' I found at about 90x was clearly not normal and with the UHC filter the PN clearly 'blinked' well with alternating averted and direct vision. With a bit more power (140x) this became even more obvious so I am now content that I have it.

After a good start I then wanted to see a couple of small open clusters within Gemini. NGC2395 was first and this was incredibly faint although I am fairly confident we had it. The nearby Medusa Nebula was however beyond our skies and despite searching for a while we could not trace any sign of this object. Open cluster NGC 2355 proved much more accommodating and was easily located. A nice bright cluster of stars appearing somewhat arrow shaped.

We then moved onto an old favourite NGC 2392, the Eskimo Nebula. This is visible in the 50mm finder when you know what to look for and is a very bright an obvious PN. Unfiltered we could see the central star easily and with UHC, the brighter inner portion and fainter outer portion were well separated. Having seen the PN between the feet of the twins, we then went over to the head of the twins where the PN NGC 2371/2 resides. This is described as not very interesting in one of my books so I did not hold out much hope of being impressed. However, this was far from the truth. This PB easily split into two sections (hence the two NGC numbers) and there were obvious central bright points (presumably the central stars) visible and which resembled 'eyes'. With a little more power and the Oiii filter, there seemd to be a little 'swirly' structure' almost. This impression has certainly been borne out by looking at images online since. Very nice!

Inspired by this and Michael's comments the other day about the PN NGC 2022 in Orion, we swept up there and easily found this between the head of Orion (Cr 69) and Betelgeuse. A plain grey colour even with filtration but quite large and very obvious. With around 140x we could see a little darkness in the centre and more so on the bottom of the PN (inverted image so really the top). Being sold close to M42, how could we refuse so paid one of a few visits during the night.....WOW. Enough said.

Having seen lots of small PNs it was interesting to contrast them with a large one. Messier 97, the Owl Nebula in Ursa Major was our next target with the Oiii filter. Really simple to find at this aperture and with a hint of one dark eye. Whilst looking for this, I was surprised that the Oiii filter made galaxy Messier 108 much more prominent than unfiltered - that's light pollution for you I suppose.

My observing buddy mentioned a slightly mythical star in Cetus, Mira. This was the first variable star discovered and is a truly stunning orange in the low power eyepiece! As we were close by, we decided despite the local LP to have a look at galaxy Messier 77. the central core was easily found and with averted vision and about 140x magnification there was some shape to the galaxy. By way of comparison we then had a look at Messiers 31/32/110 and there difference was, ahem, slight.

Quick views of the Double Cluster and the Pleiades and we then realised we should be able to see two further Messiers. Both open clusters Messier 46 and Messier 47 in Puppis. Messier 47 was very bright in the finder and a really excellent cluster. Strangely reminsicent to my eyes of the Coathanger Cluster C399. However, one of the stars (no pun intended) of the whole evening was Messier 46. The book shows a PN embedded within the cluster (it's actually closer and unconnected). The cluster was almost identical to the gem of Auriga, Messier 37. A really superb gathering of hundreds of stars. There was an added bonus though in that within the cluster and with averted vision, a small bubble appeared. UHC filter revealed this to be a very obvious PN, NGC 2438. If you have never seen this cluster / PN combo then check it out, it's well worth the effort.

We could not resist further attempts to find objects and looked at Messier 44 and Messier 67 in Cancer, Messier 1 the Crab in Taurus and I then realised that the Rosette Nebula NGC 2237 might be do-able. On the way we found the Christmas Tree cluster NGC 2264. What a brilliant object this is with a truly appropriate name. I could not detect the surrounding nebulosity but maybe a darker site will reveal this.

Eventually we found the cluster NGC 2244 and using the Oiii filter we could readily detect the ring of 'milky' material around this. the edge between the nebulosity and the sky was really quite obvious.

We looked at a few double stars (Iota Cass, Almach and Rigel) along the way and after just two hours' observing saw an incredible number of objects, many of which were new to both of us. Super night and then went inside for a warm up and watch the end of SG Live 2012. I am sure I must have forgotten one or two objects seen but hopefully can be forgiven for this - I had a lot to remember!

What a good list of objects you observed last night.

We must've been on the same wavelength when we went after J900, at first I thought it was an NGC object in the S&T Pocket Star Atlas but its prefix gave it away. Unlike you I had little prior knowledge of the area and could not pick it out from amongst the many stars, even at 200x. Perhaps I need a more detailed chart to find it, I will get the "TriAtlas" downloaded ASAP.

hi Tom

yeah, I read it as 1900 in the dark but then saw it was in fact J900 in the light!

there's a good map here j900

and a bit more info here Telescope Reviews: Finally saw J900 planetary nebula!

it's very tricky but you should see it. the best advice in the CN link is look for the box shape and move one box shape width toward the two bright stars.

good luck!

For planetary nebula, using a Diffraction grating (Star Analyser etc) or even a small 60 degree prism (or the Amici prisms from a old Direct Vision spectroscope) can make them stand out against the background stars.

The planetary will remain "star like" whereas the stars get spread into a short spectrum.

Hartung used a prism for many of his observations in "Astronomical Objects for Southern Telescopes"

Brilliant report! It's great to see the art of giving an impression of what its possible to observe has not been lost, the reports given from some of the more experienced members of SGL is always a treat to read. :)

cheers Alan. Not sure about more experienced though! There's lots more experienced than me on here - being very keen is a good substitute sometimes I suppose :D

cheers Alan. Not sure about more experienced though! There's lots more experienced than me on here - being very keen is a good substitute sometimes I suppose :)

do me a favour! :D I remember well how good your reports were when I joined a few years ago, one of a handful from the guys on here who help to keep this part of the hobby going... it seems to be a bit of a dying art due to many wanting to image today.

I seem to remember the idea of visual observing was not lost by the chap on Stargazing Live last night too. :)

Most impressive list there.

I dream of the day I get a sky dark enough for the Owl. I have been considering NGC 2022 but presumably that does need a fair amount of magnification - I think its quite small.

Aside from NGC 2392, the Eskimo (one of my favourites), I think the rest of the planetaries listed are out of my range. :D

Shane a very enjoyable observing report. I have never heard of J900 and I understand that it refers to Jonckheere. I looked on my Uranometria 2000.0 atlas and I have picked up a PN named P124 2+2.5 (whatever that means). Is it the same PN?

Mark

hi Mark

Yes, it was discovered by him (?) I think? He must have discovered a fair few! http://www.astrosurf.com/jwisn/j900-map.jpg really shows the position well. the PM appears like a double star (the PN is the brighter of the two) being between the two stars to the right and the box shaped asterism to the left (i.e. where the PN logo left hand 'spine' is).

To be honest I don't have the resolution of the maps you mention to hand so I really don't know if the one you suggest might be the same or not. Good luck with the search!

do me a favour! :D I remember well how good your reports were when I joined a few years ago, one of a handful from the guys on here who help to keep this part of the hobby going... it seems to be a bit of a dying art due to many wanting to image today.

I seem to remember the idea of visual observing was not lost by the chap on Stargazing Live last night too. :)

thanks Alan, it's really nice you think of me like that. :)

certainly visual astronomy is the only way for me. there's nothing like seeing the things first hand - although I also really enjoy the images produced by others of course too!

Most impressive list there.

I dream of the day I get a sky dark enough for the Owl. I have been considering NGC 2022 but presumably that does need a fair amount of magnification - I think its quite small.

Aside from NGC 2392, the Eskimo (one of my favourites), I think the rest of the planetaries listed are out of my range. :D

I think if you used a UHC filter you'd have a chance with a few of them for sure, including the Owl if your skies are half decent. mine a pretty rubbish (albeit a lot better than where I work).

aperture really does make a difference but give them a try!

Great report. Glad you found NGC 2022 to your liking. I tried Jonkheere 900 very briefly but without success. I will try to use the maps you indicated to have another go some time. I have not got your size scope of course, but it should be within range.

thanks again for the tip! I think you'll get J900 with the 8" if you follow the map carefully. it really looks like the photo version in the link.

Great report Shane. A really interesting read!

My last few nights' out observing, I've tried to observe a few of the PN's on your list...but they seem to be evading me!

My skies aren't great, and I think that's playing a big part, but also, having not seen one yet, I don't really know what I'm looking for!! How they appear in the eyepiece....??

I think once I 'see' one, they'll be easier to spot..well, I'm hoping so anyway!!

I've very kindly been loaned an OIII filter, and reading your report, I think my best bet may be M47 and its' associated PN..as I find this cluster quite easy to locate. Hopefully, with the filter, my first PN will be within reach!!!

Thanks again for the report...it gives me confidence that they're out there for the observing!!:)

Vicky.

hi Vicky,

It's actually M46 but they are next door to each other of course. If you can find this Ok then certainly have a look and with averted vision unfiltered you should see this with your dob. it was about halfway out from the centre of the field and at about 20 past from memory so if you look centre of the cluster it should hopefully reveal itself with averted vision.

Another good one to start with is the Eskimo. This is quite easy to find and will show well as a small fuzzy star with your 27mm Pan. Increase the power as much as you can and it will reward you. Light pollution is not a big issue with PNs as they are quite bright.

Many PNs seem to be a lot smaller than the Eskimo but some (like the Dumbbell) are much bigger of course. The odd one really looks great like the Ring Nebula!

Happy hunting.

Archived