NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New guy in Falkirk

Kano

Hi, i received a Celestron Nexstar 102GT and guess this could be a good place to learn more about what i should do with it, i'm into SLR photography and quite like the idea of combining the two if i can. good to see there are a few others in my area.

Hi Kano and welcome to the forum. I am not an imager but the type of mount that your scope is on is an Alt Azimuth, and effectively tracks objects in the sky by making a series of very little horizontally and vertically steps. On objects that are very bright like the moon and planets, exposure times are very short and these 'steps' will not notice and the most effective imaging kit is a simple webcam. Lots of quick exposures of which the best are then stacked on top of each other to form a composite image. What you will not be able to image are objects that are faint and far away (galaxies and nebula) because this will necessitate longer exposures (to capture the faint light) which in turn will mean more accurate 'equatorial' tracking instead of using an alt-azimuth style mount. For Deep Sky Objects (DSO's) greater accuracy is needed and if imaging is going to be your objective, may I suggest getting hold of Steve Richards, "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which will provide you with a very comprehensive guide on all things astrophotographic. Remeber too that a future budget should also include the cost of processing. Many programs are thankfully free and easy to download but there are some that will need to be bought so bare that in mind as well. Hope that helps.

Clear skies

James

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, and thanks to James JBM1165 for the advice, for just now I’ll be happy to get a sharp picture of the moon, and then work up to the planets when I start to learn a bit more, as for the tracking side of things I understand why you need tracking but not what the difference is between the types, but hey I’m here for a while and It’s just another part to the jigsaw, I notice my mount claims to have Alt Azimuth and Equatorial North & South tracking modes, is this what your referring too? I still haven’t managed to get it out in the open yet as it’s -5°C in Falkirk just now, and I would rather not loose bits of my body the wife might need. Roll on the warmer nights.

Archived