Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baby Dob is a success!!

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Heritage 76 Mini Dobsonian

So since I'm a newb I decided to buy the Skywatcher mini-dobsonian with the idea that I wouldn't be looking at deep sky nebulae or Pluto and if it turns out I'm not as interested in stargazing as I thought I might be that I could punt it without any harm done.

Turns out it's great! I don't really know what I'm doing as far as constellations go so I aimed it at the brightest object in the sky that I thought might be Jupiter and it was! I can see it pretty clearly and can see 3 moons around it, which is WAY more than I ever thought I'd see.

Anyway I only nipped in to share my discovery with you all since the house is empty and the dog doesn't care.

Reckon a small cheap scope is the best way to start, that way if it doesn't suit then no great loss and it gives you a feel for what is involved.

Glad that it seems to have dragged you in, use the 76 to get some idea of the next step. Be warned it can get expensive.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Stellarium has been downloaded and installed so I'll get a look at that in a bit.

My first night is now on a break. There's a fair bit of cloud cover coming in and the 'scope was getting a nice coat of dew. With it being cold enough that the car is covered in frost, I decided to bring it inside to let it dry off before it developed icicles. Any tips for avoiding that? Was it just too cold or could I have ploughed on? Should I just grab a hairdryer and give it a blast for 5 or 10 mins?

Anyway I was very impress with what I could see. My garden has good views to the North and South but limited East and West. I think I may have briefly seen another planet pop up for a few minutes between a couple of trees but it disappeared just as quickly again.

Stuck the video camera up against the eye piece to see what I could get and got a relatively decent shot of what I was looking at so I'll upload that to Youtube for your viewing pleasure shortly!

Archived