Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing with a snorkel.

marcopolo

I use mainly open frame truss scopes and quite often find you get image deterioration becasue my breath cuts across the OTA.

As a results I quite often find myself holding my breath in to get 'good seeing'

I just wondered if anyone had tried using a snorkel to put your breath behind you? Perhaps people think we are mad enough already and that would be the final act before being carried away in a tight white jacket.

Marco.

The idea is far from new and is used by some and discussed in Phil Harrington's book Star Ware. In fact there's more! You can take the glass out of a snorkelling face mask and use the rubber outer part to sheild your eyes from stray light.

Now, a quiet word in your ear; there are some things (like collecting Stasi-uniformed Barbie Dolls who are very strict with you whan you are naughty) that can be done in the privacy of your own dark corner but are best not discussed with your friends and colleagues....

Olly

A light shroud around the trusses might help a bit ?.

On cold nights you may see the heat from your body entering the optical path too - it's an issue with solid tubes as well as trusses. Another reason to wear well insulated clothing.

It's not an issue with SCT's, Mak-casses or refractors so much because your body is away from the optical path when you observe.

Haha very practical but I'm sure my neighbours already think I'm mad, out at all hours wearing an arctic storm proof wool lined all in one without wondering round in snorkelling gear too! That is a photo and half though. Star parties would become very scary places for new comers :icon_scratch:

Archived