NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pier and pier adaptors - Options in UK?

iwatkins

Hi All,

Seriously looking at purchasing a pier and pier adaptor to mount my NEQ6 upon at the top of the garden. I've had three near misses with nagging tripod legs these past few weeks and the tripod has to go.

I plan to make a concrete base for the pier just now need to decide what pier.

If anybody has recommendations for pier suppliers, please feel free to put a link to them in this thread.

As it'll be outside rather than in a obsy (for a while anyway) I want one that is fairly weatherproof.

The only one I've really been interested in so far has been the MPS Obsy Pier and EQ6 adaptor from here: Epsilon Telescopes

Cheers

Ian

I plan to make a concrete base for the pier just now need to decide what pier.

Since you're getting the concrete out anyway, have you thought about making your own pier in a pre-formed tube with some rebar?

Since you're getting the concrete out anyway, have you thought about making your own pier in a pre-formed tube with some rebar?

I had thought of that, but the pier is going to be in a temporary position until I get around to building the obsy later this year. So I really want to go for a bolt down one rather than a poured pier.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Sara, I hadn't seen that one (although had found their pier adaptors). Bit pricey though, nearly £600 with an adaptor. there again, that's the biggest/thickest pier I've seen so far. :icon_scratch:

Cheers

Ian

They are very pricey things. I bought a MIG welder (dead easy to use cos even I can do it!) and made my own. The welder was £150 and the steel zilch. I've made three piers, 3 roll off sheds, one large roll off roof, an observing chair, several garden benches and two garden dining tables, 10 metres of handrail and loads of other stuff since, so it was a good buy. Machine Mart.

Olly

I can recomend the Epsilon range....

I purchased a pier adapter and an EQ6 head, which I mounted on a concrete filled stainles steel tube....

I found the Epsilon equipment very well fabricated and I've had no issues at all with it.....hope this helps..

Steve

• 4 years later...
On 11/01/2012 at 17:33, PBS said:

Can you handle Autocad Drawings?

I still have the ones for my combined Pier and wedge.. they would need tweaking for your Latitude...

The Fixing bolts for the base of the CPC800 are 3/8" BSW...

Peter...

Any chance you still have these drawings?

I'm toying with just paying the £600 for the 8" Altair one, it looks like a great job. It will be within sight of the house so my wife has declared it must be aesthetically pleasing...

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 00:22, Peje said:

Any chance you still have these drawings?

The design is specifically for a Celestron SCT and can't easily be modified for attaching a GEM the Counterweight bar and weights would be a problem- I have been looking into it as I have an NEQ-6 now as well...

8552_large.jpeg

Peter...

Spoke to Ian @ Alstair earlier, he has one sitting that the paintwork isn't perfect. Pretty good discount so I'll be having that! My wife isn't keen on it but once it's sitting in my garage there's not much hope of getting me to not fit it LOL

Archived