another newbee

barry f

Hi I am another newbee just looking for some help and advice and looking forward to being here.

To be honest this isnt my sort of thing but I just do not know anything about this at all and really am interested in knowing about this, as myself and wife have wanted a telescope for ages now and my 9 year old son wants to get started into astronomy so could anyone help us out and sugest a suitable telescope to start us on our way. we didnt want to spend huge amounts as have just got through xmas however we do realise that you get what you pay for as i am into photography and realise how optics go. on that basis is there anything suitable that would not be to expensive and be able to take a digital slr without spending a fortune this is not essential as that was not our main concern as i have taken some good pics of the moon anyway with a 500mm lens but thought it woud be good to take a few more of something else

hope you can assist us

thanks

barry

Hi Barry & welcome to SGL, I think I went a bit over the top when I brought mine as I was going to buy a skywatcher 130P originally. But after going through posts on here the voices in my head made me buy the 200P I have now. Admittedly I got it for a good price on ebay as it's practically new.

A friend of mine has a cheap 4" newtonian scope & using my lenses can get some good images of the planets, the only downside is the mount as it's just not very good at all.

hi there and welcome to you and your family,i good choice that would not break the bank

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

this as direct dslr connection and it would make a great scope for you all its easy to use and takes no setting up and comes with a couple of eye pieces my mate got this a while ago and him and his kids love it they about the same age as your lad and they always say when they see me they have seen jupiter and its moon ,and they are ticking the craters on the moon they also do some great videos with a webcam

what was your budget ?

Hi Barry...& welcome to the forum

'scopes come in all shapes & sizes.. dependant on what you want to view...you've come to the right place for advise.

As for astro-photography... you need to start with as sturdy a mount as you can afford..ideally with motor if you want to do deep space objects.... then see if you have cash left for a 'scope.

Alternatively...have a look at dobsonian mounted 'scopes...this will get you observing...& these can be mounted on an EQ mount at a later date when funds are available...Dobs are so easy for kids to use..up-down..left-right....& also quick to set up...no hanging around getting bored while you level this & sort out that

welcome to the forum barry, for a scope to do imaging with the dslr best do a search on here, so much info, one tip would be to get a dobsonian reflector to start of viewing, then you could add an equatorial mount for imaging at a later date

HI Barry and welcome to the forum. First off, can you give us some idea of your intended budget as not wanting to spend a lot of money means different things to different people. Second, I would forget any astrophotography for now as your budget will require you to focus mainly on the scope rather than the the mount which is likely to point you in the direction of a dobsonian type of scope. Lastly, before buying any scope etc, why not contact your local astro society or local observation group (not always the same thing) to go along and have a look through some kit first. Yes you will see some all singing all dancing bits of kit at these events but you will also see some straight forward scopes too that will give you some idea of what your money can buy and whether it would be better to wait a while to save or or to research some kit secondhand. Remember there is no rush, the stars aren't going anywhere. If astro imaging is your long term aim, then I would recommend you obtain a copy of Steve Richards, "Making Every Photon Count" which will tell you all you need to know about the subject and will help you to secure the appropriate kit in the longer term.

Clear skies and happy hunting

James

wow thanks very much for the warm welcome and advise this looks like its going to be a really cool place for all my family to be involved with.

Ok so lets start by choosing a scope and forgetting the camera mount for now and progress maybe later. hmmm Price always a tricky start so lets say .... between £90- £150. I guess. would there be anything in that region as I did look in jessops and see 1 for £89 but wondered if that was any good, then the more I looked the more I found and the more I got confused so hence searching and finding you guys.:D

Archived